iphone hacked

Jimmy14 18:30 25 Aug 2007

A 17 year old New Jersey teenager has hacked the iphone allowing it to be used on other networks such as T-Mobile. It took him 2 hours to achieve and it has resulted in him being famous across the globe. He has being working on this project for 500 hours since the iphone launch on June 29th. Apple or AT&T haven't commented yet. The teenager is due to appear on CNN news later today.

click here

click here

WhiteTruckMan 18:51 25 Aug 2007

is more than a little bit risky, as it involves taking a soldering iron to his iphone. Would you be happy doing that to your expensive gadget? A more sophisticated approach can be found here

click here

WTM

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:12 25 Aug 2007

His method is positively stone-age. /sigh

G

Jimmy14 19:14 25 Aug 2007

The method that is used in your link doesn't work. It results in a SIM having to be re-programmed every time it is used in an iphone and special equipment also has to be used. You can read it for yourself by going to the BBC news article, the link is in my first post.

WhiteTruckMan 19:38 25 Aug 2007

er-no it doesnt. you get your phone unlocked. then you buy a sim for the network you want. If you go abroad you buy a local simcard. no big deal, they arent that expensive. end of story.

The beeb article doesnt link to or otherwise specifically mention the site I linked to.

Anyhow, I'd rather trust to a software fix than someone with a soldering iron any day.

WTM

Jimmy14 19:45 25 Aug 2007

How do we know that website is not another fake claim like a lot of the others that are around. They haven't defended the claims that it doesn't work. An agency verified that the 17 year olds method worked. The BBC website doesn't link to that site because there are so many claiming the method they describe, they are just letting readers know that that method is impossible. If the software fix worked then we would all obviously prefer that method but so far it doesn't. If people don't like apples terms and conditions or contracts that come with the iphone then simple, don't buy it.

WhiteTruckMan 20:46 25 Aug 2007

We dont know if its fake or not. But the beeb are most definitely NOT claiming its impossible. You should read your own links a bit better. The people in the link I supplied are willing to do it for FREE for some publications (an opportunity for pca if they are quick enough perhaps?). I myself am happy to wait and see if their claims pan out, and if they do then good for them!

Again, would YOU be happy letting some stranger into your expensive toy with a soldering iron? One, I might add, that was built by sophisticated machinery and not cobbled together in a heath robinson manner over some fries and a few diet cokes.

WTM

Jimmy14 23:20 25 Aug 2007

I doubt PC ADVISOR will jump at an opportunity which could results in a legal battle. There is another website which was about to release software that supposedly unlocks the iphone but before the could, AT&T got a law firm to halt them and it is now under legal proceedings. I never answered you about letting someone alter my product the first time because I didn't think it justified an answer but since you ask again I will tell you. I would not void a warranty of a product by letting someone alter it and potentially break it, I do not break the law and don't intend to by breaking the patents Apple have set on this new phone.

Jimmy14 23:41 25 Aug 2007

*they could

Forum Editor 23:42 25 Aug 2007

have claimed that they have developed a software method of unlocking an iPhone, but so far I have seen no evidence that it has been done. It's possible to re-program a SIM so it can be used on a different network, but that's not the same as unlocking a phone.

Anyone can buy the means to unlock ordinary phones via the internet, and you can buy sim-cloners as well, but so far I haven't heard of a successful iPhone unlock, other than the one in the BBC's piece.

Jimmy14 23:45 25 Aug 2007

"have claimed that they have developed a software method of unlocking an iPhone, but so far I have seen no evidence that it has been done. It's possible to re-program a SIM so it can be used on a different network, but that's not the same as unlocking a phone."

That is exactly what I'm saying but WTM is saying that it does work but it isn't anything the same as that teenagers achievement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?