An interpretation of The Holy Grail??

Brumas 22:18 28 Jan 2007

I have just read the second part of Bill Watkins’s trilogy ‘Scotland is not for the squeamish’ which, like the first part, I found so fascinating and compelling I could hardly bear to put down. He “mingles Celtic poetry,history, and song with true and tall tales of his high-seas adventures and explorations of the Scottish Highlands” amongst other things!
The first part of the trilogy he describes growing up in Ireland and England,
With a Welsh Father and an Irish Mother – you can imagine the mix!

Anyway I digress, during his ‘rite of passage’ he is searching for his ‘holy grail’ and talking of religion to a pal he is asked to translate “Love one another as I have loved you” which he imagined was said after the communion, into Gaelic….

“Grá céile, I guess, or Grá-eile. Why?”
“Gra ella. It sounds a bit like GRAIL , don’t it?”
“It’s possible the Holy Grail wasn’t the cup used at the Last Supper. Perhaps it was just that – the love Jesus had with his followers! The love that binds friends together. Maybe we’ve been searching for something we already have, and we couldn’t see it because it’s right under our noses!”

I am not a particularly religious person but this intrigues me – what do you make of it?

rodriguez 22:31 28 Jan 2007

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Is there someone else up there we could talk to?

No. Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

Brumas 22:34 28 Jan 2007

What!!!!!

anskyber 22:36 28 Jan 2007

Have you posted in the right forum, a little odd for you?

Woolwell 22:38 28 Jan 2007

I could answer but I would break Forum rules.

"Religious intolerance – we do not permit posts or threads that seek to express or incite religious intolerance or to promote religious beliefs."

And I could only do so by promoting a religious belief.

Kate B 22:38 28 Jan 2007

*baffled*

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:39 28 Jan 2007

Brumas...you have the award for this years' most pointed insultee.

Personally I believe that the Holy Grail is not material but a simple explanation of the path that people need to take, if they are religious. It is a convenient answer to the question 'what the 'ell are we doing here?' As this Grail has been sought for over 1000 years I have to assume that it is either deceptively well hidden or does not exist. Call me cynical but my money rests firmly on the latter.

G

citadel 22:40 28 Jan 2007

monty python made a film about it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:40 28 Jan 2007

ps...if I do happen to find it the Grail will be on Ebay before you can say heathen.

G

cycoze 22:48 28 Jan 2007

rodriguez post was a quote from Monty Pythons 1975 Film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

Regarding the original question, The Grail has been interpreted in many ways, from physical objects to descendent`s of Christ and ideals/values, so Bill Watkins’s is not new, he also might of meant he was searching for his own personal salvation/reason tobe.

Forum Editor 22:52 28 Jan 2007

had no intention of insulting you, Brumas. His quotation backfired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?