The Internet; obsession or addiction ?

anchor 14:46 23 May 2006
  Genius1 15:28 23 May 2006

For me, the Internet is neither an obsession or an addiction. It is simply a useful tool, and one that I would not want to be without. However, I wouldn't make a lot of fuss if one day it ceased to exist.

donki 16:20 23 May 2006

Well I can see it, I know guys that sit on it all nite sumtimes. I myself enjoy the net but unlike u genious i would really miss it if it just vanished.

I havent developed the "cyber shakes" just yet thou :)

Mr Mistoffelees 16:55 23 May 2006

I'm not addicted, I can go and do something else.......

Honestly, I can!

wolfie3000 17:40 23 May 2006

online gamings my addiction so i guess the internet is an addiction for me.

mammak 18:28 23 May 2006

It is offical I am an internet junkie couldn't live without it,
Mr Mistoffelees I beleive you :)

martjc 09:02 24 May 2006

...I'm not addicted to the internet! I'm not addicted to eating either - or drinking - or watching t.v. - but these are all things I do on a regular basis.

Oh well, the report DID come from The States. It takes all sorts to make a world - and most of the strange ones are over there!

Totally-braindead 10:52 24 May 2006

I'm not addicted at all. Total nonsense. Sometimes I spend as much as 2 or 3 hours away from the internet so obviously I'm not addicted.

rmcqua 11:26 24 May 2006

I don't understand your point. It seems a perfectly well reasoned article to me and in no way restricted to the 'States.

martjc 13:17 24 May 2006

...My point was, just because you take part in an activity, doesn't mean you are addicted to it. Are all football fans, for instance, addicted to football? I think not.

anchor 16:09 24 May 2006

Firstly, an obsession is not necessarily an addiction. I think the writer of the article is using the word addiction loosely.

There also is a difference between being a fan and a fanatic. The dictionary defines a fan as someone who admires and supports a person, sport, sports team, etc:

In contrast a fanatic is defined as a person whose strong admiration for something is considered to be extreme and/or unreasonable. There are many football fans, a few of whom are fanatics and may be obsessional about it. I have met some.

The same can be said of the internet; many admirers, but are some are over the top. That is when it may become an obsession.

For myself, I would not like to be without the Internet, although I`m not obsessed with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?