Interesting thought, XP v 98SE!

TonyV 20:00 08 Apr 2005

I read with interest this evening a thread in the Help-room Forum regarding going backwards and deleting XP and re-installing Win98SE. I must confess that whilst I have recently updated my system from Win 98SE to XP Home, I'm not that impressed with the speed of it lighting up. Mr Microsoft says that it will be much faster than previous versions, but after asking the question, myself, on the Help-room Forum regarding the speed, and trying out the suggestion of using Bootvis, it seemed to speed up once, but now is quite slow to start.

Do people really think that XP is that much faster than say 98SE, or are we just looking for something that is newer, but not necessarily better? It seems to me that there is a lot of new technology coming forward that really is taking three steps backward in regard to the method of operation and it's overall utilisation.

A classic is trying to video via a set top free-view box. It is useless, because it seems that you can only video what you are watching, yet everyone says how much better it is!! You cannot mix terrestrial and digital!

I am just passing comments, and do not expect to get any real answers just other comments.

Yoda Knight 12:50 11 Apr 2005

Linux anybody ?

octal 13:09 11 Apr 2005

Yes, but I'm sitting back and smiling!

LastChip 13:50 11 Apr 2005

But there are few here that will take the time to learn how to use Linux properly.

That said, even with the vast improvements made on the user interface, installing a new program within Linux can be difficult to say the least. When Linux gets to the point where you can click on a program and it will install, it will be a very strong contender indeed.

TonyV 14:07 11 Apr 2005

A pal of mine has Linux, not sure which version, and he swears by it. But, if we install Linux, do we not then have to buy all the applications again? Or does it accept Windows based applications to a lesser extent? That is the problem with the "monopoly", (I use the word guardedly!) system that almost prevails at the moment for most Home Style PC owners.

Chris25 14:42 11 Apr 2005

One word: unicode

octal 15:24 11 Apr 2005

I can run a lot of Windows programs in Linux, in fact I can install Windows 98SE in Linux, but I'm not sure why I'd want do do that.

TonyV 15:47 11 Apr 2005

That should make life very interesting, two OS's running similar based programmes.

DieSse 17:41 11 Apr 2005

LastChip said "When Linux gets to the point where you can click on a program and it will install, it will be a very strong contender indeed"

Linspire does just that - installs just like Win - graphically - Click'NRun warehouse does single click download and installs. You need never see a command line at all unless you specifically want to (just like Win). Has Open Office built in, so it opens standard MS docs. Has Mozilla browser, or just download Firefox if you wish.

click here

LastChip 17:52 11 Apr 2005

DieSse.

I was thinking more of Mandrake, SuSe and the like when I made that comment. Both distro's have similar arrangements to Linspire, but the problems arise when you want to load something that does not come directly from the distro's libraries.

The point I was trying to make, was that if you go into any PC store and buy a third party program, in the main, Windows has been developed to such a degree, there is a fair chance you can pop the CD in the drive and it will install. In general terms, Linux has yet to make it to that stage. That's not knocking Linux, I think it's great, but for widespread adoption, that's where it has to get to.

Charence 22:35 11 Apr 2005

I'm sure Linux is actually very good, but I've trying to make it go online at the moment seems impossible. Installed Mandrake 10, hoping to include it into the wireless network, but the OS doesn't have a driver/there isn't a driver for it to work on Linux. Tried installing it on another PC which has an ADSL modem, Linux cannot recognise my USB modem, hmmm...I just found it really frustrating to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires