An interesting experiment

ray7 11:43 06 Jun 2008

click here

Do you think it would work in Britain

natdoor 12:29 06 Jun 2008

I have encountered such a system in Pulheim, near Cologne, which predates 2007. It only applies to the main street and gives it a much more open feel. It seems to work well but, as a pedestrian, does take a while to get used to. A street in the town where I live, which separates two large shopping centres, one of which is only partially developed has been set up in a similar way but the council are trying to make it pedestrianised in future, although bus companies are resisting.

Would such a system work over a larger area in the UK? Not judging by the way in which many youngsters drive.

Clapton is God 12:35 06 Jun 2008

It's bound to work in this country.

Most drivers in this country choose to ignore traffic lights, road signs, zebra crossing and other road users anyway.

ray7 13:13 06 Jun 2008

Nice one.....I like that....

spuds 14:41 06 Jun 2008

If it happened in this country, just imagine how many people would be seeking compensation from the council's and the government, because they were not correctly instructed on what they should do.

charmingman 14:54 06 Jun 2008

Iam with "Midgetninja" & "Clapton is God" on this one..!!!

peter99co 15:14 06 Jun 2008

In the right kind of village or parts of town centres I would think it would work. It might get rid of some of the street furniture that councils are so fond of installing.

ray7 15:22 06 Jun 2008

In theory, getting rid of street furniture etc. etc. should prevent drivers from being distracted and allow them to concentrate on driving correctly and responsibly. Sadly, I suggest that a large minority of drivers are incapable of doing this.

pj123 16:12 06 Jun 2008

A "large minority"? Is there such a thing?

Does that make it a majority?

Forum Editor 16:13 06 Jun 2008

why this wouldn't work here. I've driven in several Italian towns where it works beautifully. Surelly nobody's going to tell me that we're not capable of being every bit as careful and considerate as a town-full of Italian drivers.

On one of my regular routes across London the lights at a major road junction were out of action for two days recently; the traffic sorted itself out quite happily, there were no great queues, and we all seemed to be able to handle the lack of lights pretty well - I doubt that there any accidents.

Forum Editor 16:15 06 Jun 2008

49% is a minority, but a large one. 10% is a small minority. A large majority is 75%, and a small one is 55%.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires