Interesting Effect of PR in Scotland.

morddwyd 16:21 06 May 2017

For the first time, as a result of the PR system introduced by Labour at the time of devolution, specifically to prevent one party getting an overall majority, it has worked.

Not one council in Scotland has an overall majority party in charge, every council will either be a minority administration or a coalition.

It will be interesting to see the wheeling and dealing as Tory and Labour combine to keep the Nats out of power!

In the past the Lib Dems could be counted on to support the party which gave them the biggest official cars, but that may not work this time.

Aitchbee 19:36 06 May 2017

I noticed something rather odd when I went in to vote. The SNP had 3 different candidates out of a total list of about 15 names on the ballot paper.

It reminded me of some racing trainers who enter several horses for a big race!

Quickbeam 06:52 07 May 2017

Meanwhile with FPTP we have to mobilise ourselves to get a more balanced government than a democratic dictatorship for 5 years!

As a natural Liberal that's voted to try and get electoral reform since my first vote in '74, I can only hope that I'll see it in my lifetime now. I voted New Labour in '97 on the back of a half promise of ER after Labour's 18 years in the wilderness, only to see them dump the idea once they realised that they can win again in FPTP. How they must rue that now...

FPTP is unfit for any democracy with 3 or more credible parties. With two parties it works as it's a simple us or them choice.

Teabag. 08:38 07 May 2017

I can only hope that I'll see it in my lifetime now.

The British electorate had the option to go down this road in 2011. More than two thirds decided not to change the system and keep the status quo. The coalition with the Conservatives nearly wiped out the liberal democrats and it will take a very long time for the electorate to go back to them.

Look at Scotland. The SNP might have the largest ammount of votes in the council elections but if labour and the conservatives do work together. It will totally nullify the SNP.

morddwyd 11:37 07 May 2017

"Look at Scotland. The SNP might have the largest ammount of votes in the council elections but if labour and the conservatives do work together. It will totally nullify the SNP."

That's what the thread is about!

Forum Editor 12:13 07 May 2017

I'm in Europe quite a bit, and it's interesting how, no matter what the electoral system is, people are always finding things to criticise - ways of explaining why the party (or the candidate) of their choice didn't do as well as they had hoped.

That's politics - it's about convincing people you are the ones to put the country, or the local area to rights. Then, when you don't get the mandate you would have liked, it's about forming alliances with other politicians - making trades.

There has never been, and will never be the perfect system.

Teabag. 12:17 07 May 2017

That's what the thread is about!

and that is what I replied to.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?