Insurance claim and the excess

Cara2 20:11 28 Jan 2009

Can't get my head around this one.

A third party reverses into our stationary (sp?) car. No problem in that it is a straightforward claim with the other car admitting liability.

However we have a £250 excess. Now, I would not have thought this would have been an issue unless the accident was our fault.

Apparently this is not the case. Our insurers only claim an amount less the excess, which we would have to independently hope to claim back.

(In actual fact we have legal protection - which I was not aware of - so another set of solicitors are involved to reclaim the excess).

Am I on my own on not understanding this?

Cara

laurie53 20:39 28 Jan 2009

I had a car written off in a fire in a (commercial) garage.

The garage advised me it would be quicker to claim on my own insurance.

Not only did I have to pay the excess, later recovered, but I also lost my NCD, which was not recovered.

They have more weasily rules then you can count, and you never know how good your insurance is until you claim.

Colin 20:49 28 Jan 2009

It’s been standard insurance practice that the excess is the responsibility of the policyholder irrespective of the fault. Some apparently black & white cases don’t always turn out to be as clear cut as they first appear. As you’ve realised the excess will need to be claimed back by yourself. These aren't weasily rules as they are clearly explained in any policy.

laurie53 – if you were successful in claiming your excess back, I can’t understand why you lost your no claims discount.

Without appearing to be sycophantic to insurance companies, you get what you pay for and the policy document will include all conditions and exclusions applicable to your policy.

namtas 23:20 28 Jan 2009

To cover this loss you would need to have uninsured loss cover, your insurance will quote for you to have this additional cover. I think it was called DAS.

namtas 23:23 28 Jan 2009

laurie53 It may have been quicker, it seems that it was also more expensive than it should have been as you lost you NCD.

spuds 23:52 28 Jan 2009

Over the years, car insurance small print as got more complicated, and its only when you make a claim that thing become more evident.

At once upon a time, the insurance broker use to take full control of any negotiations. Not so nowadays, because Legal Protection came into being with a fee attachment.

Then we had the extra 'voluntary' excess on insurance policies, which will hike up your claims bill even further. Last year, I chose to transfer my vehicle insurance to another company. It was only when I received the policy, that I realised that 'I had accepted' an excess premium, plus a voluntary additional premium. With that result, the savings from the previous policy and company that I had made, would have been a loss, had I made a claim.

The same thing applies to replacement documents, other services or change of certificate. All usually have an extra administration fee applicable.

namtas, I think that you will find DAS are one of three different companies that work in this field.These companies also do other legal advice 24 hour telephone services for policyholders.

gartoy 00:01 29 Jan 2009

Hey Cara

Might be worth ringing your insurors claims dept to confirm the 3rd party have actually admitted liability. When the 3rd party accepts liability to their insuror the claim usually goes to the "100% dept" of the insuror making the claim, as liability is not in dispute & its clear their insured is not at fault.

You mentioned you hope to claim your excess back, an admission at the roadside means nothing & unless there are independant witnesses the 3rd party could quite easily say you went into them & actually be claiming off you (unless the side of your car was damaged). I would definitely doublecheck this claim isn't in dispute.

namtas Motor Legal Protection IS uninsured loss cover, sometimes provided by DAS, another legal expenses insurance company or the insurors own legal team if they are a direct insuror.

laurie53 07:21 29 Jan 2009

"laurie53 – if you were successful in claiming your excess back, I can’t understand why you lost your no claims discount."

Nor me.

carver 08:29 29 Jan 2009

All I can say is that the insurance company is rubbish, since 2001 in total I have had 7 claims for car accidents and none my fault, never lost any excess.

If you are not at fault then you should not lose any excess from your policy.

One of them was while I was sat in the house actually talking to the insurance company about renewing the policy when a car reversed into mine the lady I was speaking to was quite lost for words when I said I would have to phone back because the details about past claims would now include another accident.

The excess I paid when I received the car after repair was then refunded from my insurance company.

Never lost a NCD even after all the claims, so who is your insurance with. I'll make sure I don't use them.

laurie53 20:04 29 Jan 2009

To be fair to the company, it was a long time ago, and I don't think it would do to name them here at this late remove.

Noldi 06:16 30 Jan 2009

I have a case with my Son at the moment. He was also backed into while stationary but with a lot of damage. The offending driver was at fault my son was not in the car.

The car was recovered and the insurance company informed as we had courtesy car options. A nice new car turned with all the paper work was information of the hire cost; before we moved the car we contacted the insurers to ask what this fee was and where told don’t worry the other insurance will pay this you don’t have to pay anything.

A few months later the car was written off and we awaited the money and the hire car was running up cost of about £70 per day, The money for the written off car arrived a month later so the hire company was owed more than £2000.

Several months later came a letter saying the other parties insurance would not pay for the courtesy car? And we would have to pay part of the bill. The issue is on going through the court. But I know next time I will ask for everything in writing before I agree or accept any thing with insurance company’s

Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?