Info on Paypal please

Cara2 22:39 06 Jul 2008

I am renting a holiday property abroad, but not through a company. Obviously this is a risk financially.

The owner is trying to set up Paypal. What protection, if any, does that give me. Can I then pay by Credit Card?

Otherwise, I am going to have to take a chance and deposit money into the owners bank account. Have done this before on others properties and survived to tell the tale, but its far from ideal.

Thanks Cara

Forum Editor 23:23 06 Jul 2008

to make payments via your PayPal account,and that will be the best way to handle the transaction - you'll then have the protection that goes with all credit card transactions over £100.

Bear in mind that if you are in dispute with the seller over a credit card payment via PayPal you should take the matter up with both PayPal and your card issuer. In the event of a chargeback it is the card company that makes the final decision, and not PayPal, although PayPal may act to recover funds from the seller's PayPal account if they are available.

laurie53 08:00 07 Jul 2008

I must admit that if Paypal is an option, and it seems to come up more and more these days, I tend to use it. One click and it's paid.

While there are horror stories with maximum publicity, many millions of transactions are trouble free.

spuds 12:44 07 Jul 2008

PayPal have recently informed customers of changes to some of their methods regarding usage. Emails were sent out on the 13/06/2008, with respect of changes from the 9 July 2008.

Check with PayPal.

dms_05 15:01 07 Jul 2008

Spuds is quite right. Up until now you have been able to pay PayPal from either your bank account or credit card with no financial penalty. From July 2008 PayPal have changed their T&C's and you will be charged much more if you use a Credit card (a fixed fee plus a % of the transaction). Using a credit card made PayPal almost perfect for protection against fraud however my dealings with PayPal suggest using your bank account will be far more complex in the event of a fraud. I've taken a decision to stop using PayPal for items over £100 - about 18 months ago I suffered an obvious fraud and whilst Paypal messed me around Barclaycard repaid the money before PayPal had even decided wether to accept my claim. Not a experience that recommends PayPal to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?