Incandescent.....

Coffee Adict 15:25 30 Jan 2008

...or flaming mad either way I'm it.

I'm due to retire in two years time and thought it would be timely to get a pension forecast, so went through all the rigramole of registering and waiting for activation code to come through the post.
Now I got divorced twenty-one years ago and never re-married, they only want my ex-husbands national insurance number and current address, he could be dead for all I know, or care. This information is compulsory so consequently I've come to a dead stop.
Idiots why would I keep any record of my ex-husbands NI number, there were no children and he never paid me any maintenance.

This soap box is getting heavy to carry around, but I'm glad I got that of my chest.

Forum Editor 15:35 30 Jan 2008

is that sometimes an ex-husband's National Insurance contributions can be used to get you a better pension. They'll give you a forecast that will tell you if you would get a bigger pension using his contributions, instead of your own.

If you can't trace your ex-husband just tell them - there's nothing they can do if you no longer know of his whereabouts, and you don't have his NI number. It's a common occurrence.

rawprawn 15:36 30 Jan 2008

Go into your local Benefits Centre and explain the position, I'm sure they can help. When my wife retired and we wrote off to get a forecast, they didn't even know that she existed.
They probably lost the CD. I'm sorry that you are having trouble it is Very frustrating!

anskyber 15:39 30 Jan 2008

The form asks for the information but does not say it is critical. The FE has explained why they ask for it and I agree you should say on the form the information is not available to you.

Grey Goo 15:44 30 Jan 2008

They don't know whether you are claiming pension on your ex husbands contributions or in your own right. The forms are somewhat irritating but the HM Revenue and Customs are worse. They sent me a form asking when I was claiming my pension from, the next question was how much would it be. As I have not been informed by the Work and Pensions Office of final details I am at a loss to answer this at the moment. I think giving the DWP a ring my help your situation as you can explain to an "advisor" your predicament.

Coffee Adict 15:51 30 Jan 2008

I know there are a lot of variables and it would have been a guesstimate anyway, but the online site is very sparse in giving any choices, only two questions I answered were, was I a UK resident and had I worked in the civil service or been in the armed forces. Next page was your status i.e never married, divorced, widowed, etc. As soon as I clicked divorced it wanted all this information, even the actual divorce date, it took me half an hour and nothing less than a miracle that I actually found some paperwork (I really must spring clean that cupboard out.)
rawprawn: thanks for the advice, but like a lot of people I work out of town, it would mean a day off probably. It can wait.

Bingalau 15:51 30 Jan 2008

Isn't there some arrangement now where you can claim half of your ex-spouses pension?

spuds 16:33 30 Jan 2008

Remember that a pension forecast is only a rough estimate. At the time of actual retirement, any figures quoted could be incorrect.

Most DWP local offices have advisor's, who I have found to be very helpful and friendly. A simple phone call, as solved many of the questions that I have placed before them.Have your National Insurance number handy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?