Improved forum

Jameslayer 16:56 08 Oct 2010

I have been thinking of this a while. Well since I srated on this forum. I would like to see it improved. To something like the android forum which i have started looking at since i got my phone.

My desire is a visable started date so that it is clear how long someone has been around. So that I know that they are more trustworthy.

A example of why this would be nice. On several threads I have seen the people post how wonderfull a service is. When the other 99 posts are bad. And the FE has basically said u signed up sepcially to post that review.

wiz-king 18:07 08 Oct 2010

Look at the numbers below the last post - the FE has enough to do now. The computing power needed for your suggestion would be immense, also length of membership is not a good guide to expertise. I have been a member for 8 years and would not consider myself an expert in anything!

"sleepers" are not confined to terrorist cells! lol!

Forum Editor 18:17 08 Oct 2010

that someone who has been with us for a long time is likely to be "more trustworthy" than someone who joined us yesterday you're on the wrong tack I'm afraid. It simply doesn't follow.

I have always been very much against showing an individual's 'length of service' on posts, because I believe it leads to an elitist atmosphere, and discourages others who might not have been with us for very long.

Advice from a newcomer can be every bit as good as that from someone who's been here for years. That's the point of a forum like ours - people primarily come here for help with problems, and they don't particularly care whether their adviser has ten years-worth of forum experience or ten weeks.

JYPX 18:19 08 Oct 2010

Yes, but a revamp has been hinted at not long ago and I think would be welcome. Just because other (inferior) forums feature, for example, post count, ability to quote, image insertion, etc etc it does not follow that including these options would take our forum downmarket.....!

JYPX 18:21 08 Oct 2010

My (very slow) response was to wiz-king - not to FE.

Forum Editor 18:25 08 Oct 2010

We've been working hard on a site redesign for quite a while now. I can't give you a relaunch date just yet, but you shouldn't have to wait too long.

And that's all I'm saying.

JYPX 18:28 08 Oct 2010

FE - Much appreciated.

Jameslayer 18:48 08 Oct 2010

I'm not saying that someone who hasnt been around as long will give duff info. Its the fact that you have people sign up to give reviews and suggestions that are just bots/touts.

birdface 18:53 08 Oct 2010

Better get my moan in now.
Not another one.
I hate change still can't stand the Black borders from the last one.
Maybe put the blue ones back but I won't hold my breath.
Just ignore me,I am having a VM moment.

"The computing power needed for your suggestion would be immense"

I doubt it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?