The Importance of Price Matching

spuds 11:47 13 Jan 2007

What a nice word 'Price Matching', but doe's it really mean 'Rip-Off' or a possible desperate Public Relations and Marketing Exercise. Are the retailers and service providers really losing out on these deals, or are prices inflated to the extreme, that a price match means very little to these companies.

The reason why I pose this question, was due to various recent events, were I obtained price matching on various items and services. In each case the 'retailer or service provider, didn't bat an eyelid', when they price matched. On one particular service, I obtained a reduction of over £105.00 (that sure is a saving) just for a simple request and offering a junk mail price code reference number.

What's your views. Have you saved money through price matching or asking for discounts. Or are we being ripped off by our own ignorance!.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:21 13 Jan 2007

Pity we Brits can't get a price match with the Americans for Vista.

rezeeg 13:28 13 Jan 2007

No rip-off. What they're saying is pay our price if you're too lazy to shop around (which has always been the case but now the retailers are implying that they're the best price).

surfmonkey #:@}© 13:32 13 Jan 2007

I dont know alot about price matching but i get some good deals at staple in my local area they price matched some preimum photo paper for me at a comparison with pc world down the road and i ended up with double the amout of paper and i got discount good for me, its worth asking i say

lisa02 17:30 13 Jan 2007

rezeeg has the right thoughts on this. The big chains will pay similar money for their stock, where the difference is in overheads and staffing costs.

Some instances where they might make a loss (very rare! Maybe Jessops matching online stores, is all I can think of) has the concept of "we'd rather make no profit or small loss on an item if it means the competitor won't make a profit"

lisa02 17:35 13 Jan 2007

As for the last part of the question I have my favourite shops that I know are good. I just go to whatever one of them has the item at the cheapest price. I wouldn't touch an unknown company/one with poor customer service just to save a few quid.

oresome 19:49 13 Jan 2007

The "never knowingly undersold" slogan is a marketing phrase to make you believe it's pointless shopping round because the present store will be the cheapest.

The conditions usually restrict comparisons to local stores with the goods in stock.

If you found it cheaper elsewhere, why would you return to the more expensive store for them to price match?

It's a brave person who would attempt a price match for a few coppers in a busy store with queues at the check outs. You certainly wouldn't be popular with other customers behind you!

Although for a £105 saving I would risk being unpopular.

lisa02 20:26 13 Jan 2007

Ten days after. Some do a thing where for 10 days after purchase - find it cheaper and they'll give you back the difference. I can't remember where I read it though. Arghhh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?