Immigration contributes or costs the tax payer a small fortune?

hssutton 21:40 12 Mar 2014
Answered

Towards the end of last year a report suggested that Immigration contributes £60bn to the UK. Living close to Boston it was a figure which I could never quite understand, although through my experience of living in Lincolnshire I agreed with the other part of the report which suggested they had a better work ethic, (well those that actually work)

Immigration

I see there is now another report published which states that immigration has cost the UK £22 million a day since the 1990s.

Immigration

Which report do you agree with, seeing many Eastern Europeans standing around street corners and toilet blocks mid morning drinking cans of larger and smoking. Having said I must state that the the few near to where I live (car washing)are extremely hard working. I think I go with the latest report.

geoff96 22:14 12 Mar 2014

seeing many Eastern Europeans standing around street corners and toilet blocks mid morning drinking cans of larger and smoking.

That is strange. I see many English speakers, in tracksuits and trainers here in Liverpool doing the same. 9.30 outside the jobcentre with a can of strong lager, a fag in their mouth and using an expensive smart phone.

Aitchbee 22:15 12 Mar 2014

From recent personal experiences in the big city [south side] where I live and from what I see everyday [not night-time, 'cos it's too dangerous to be out in case your are mugged], I would 'plump' for the second option as being nearer of the truth-of-the-matter-in-question.

Aitchbee 23:51 12 Mar 2014

I know it's a frivilous response, but thankfully I will become a non-taxpayer [after 44 years of payin' tax] 'cos my welfare benefit has been stopped, so I will not be contributing indirectly to the upkeep of all foreigners who reach our welcoming shores anymore. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Aitchbee 09:45 13 Mar 2014

Anybody else notice this thread is only 11 hours old and yet has 5435 'views'?

Yes I noticed that phenomenon ... just like flies round a dog-poo in summer!

fourm member 09:55 13 Mar 2014

Yes, yes, yes - first prize to me!

Before clicking on your second link, I said to myself 'This will be about that Migration Watch report' and I was right.

This article gets into quite a complex analysis of the many flaws in the Migration Watch report but the key message is that MW has based its document on simple lies.

MW has exposed itself as not being the impartial organisation it claims.

The £60bn cost to future GDP from ending EU free movement is only an estimate and can be challenged but when an organisation resorts to lies to frame that challenge it suggests the number is pretty robust.

hssutton 11:15 13 Mar 2014

FM I agree with what you say, but how impartial was the first report? where does that leave the ordinary person when we get conflicting biased? reports Like this.

As I said in my OP, the few that work in my immediate area are very hard workers, working 12 hours per day 7 days per week. However when I go into Boston I see a totally different scene.

In my area two almost derelict garages have been updated beyond recognition in the space of 12 months, both being thriving car wash businesses.

Aitchbee 22:34 13 Mar 2014

To be fair, I have seen 2 busloads of about 150 immigrants dressed in grey-work-uniforms disembark from luxury coaches every tuesday afternoon opposite the local shopping precinct ... it's a bit of a shame, though, that the native workers of this country [Scotland] do not get the same free transport facilities to-and-fro' their workplaces ... unless disabled or getting-on-a-bit.

Very surprisingly, recently whilst waiting for the bus home, my xenophobia disappeared for a few moments when a young Eastern European girl [about 14] asked me in understandable English, " Can you tell me the time, please Sir? "

That's something that money cannot buy.

bumpkin 22:38 13 Mar 2014

HB Oscar Delta for the Foxhunter?

Aitchbee 22:43 13 Mar 2014

... only if it's number ten on the racecard, bumpkin.

Forum Editor 22:51 13 Mar 2014

"In my area two almost derelict garages have been updated beyond recognition in the space of 12 months, both being thriving car wash businesses."

Which means that a lot of people can afford to have their cars washed for them - an excellent indication that the economy is recovering.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?