The Immigrant

Stuartli 09:04 18 Jul 2007

I was just too late to make one last contribution to the "follow Australia post", and have no wish to start the ball rolling again.

However, I think the lyrics of a very moving song by Neil Sedaka (one of my all time favourite singer-songwriters), The Immigrant, might be revealing.

click here

You can hear the song from about half-way through this YouTube link:

click here

Why did Sedaka write the song?

Because John Lennon had been refused admission to the States a short time before due to, IIRC, he was known to take drugs.

spuds 12:04 18 Jul 2007

Like all these type of music and songs, they all have meanings for someone. Music from the Deep South and the hardships there, to dear old Sound of Music, all pretty and prim.

Personally I go for Mama Cass Elliot and her bumming voice about the San Andres fault ;o)

Seth Haniel 12:54 18 Jul 2007

or Sinaed O'Connor and the 'Potato Famine'

Stuartli 15:58 18 Jul 2007

Many, many songs, thousands and thousands in fact, reflect experiences enjoyed or which have strongly moved someone during their lifetime; love is perhaps the number one reason for writing such songs.

This particular song by Neil Sedaka seems to me to be especially relevant to discussion in the thread mentioned.

Strawballs 00:37 19 Jul 2007

One of my all time favourite songs that has been know to move me is "Driving the Last Spike" by Genesis.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?