Im sure this is a lame row

daytimers82 17:01 03 Aug 2010

click here

but who's correct

Chris the Ancient 17:06 03 Aug 2010

Who cares?

spuds 18:53 03 Aug 2010

I would have thought that the FBI had more pressing issues on their hands, than perhaps a copyright issue :O((

morddwyd 19:51 03 Aug 2010

"The FBI" tv series ran for about ten years and was seen in most of the tv countries of the world.

Each episode opened with an image of the seal.

click here

Were all these television transmitting companies sued by the FBI?

Forum Editor 00:17 04 Aug 2010

Well, the FBI obviously does.

Wikipedia's lawyer says:

"The seal is in no way evidence of any 'intent to deceive', nor is it an 'assertion of authority', recognisable or otherwise,"

Which is a little vague. The seal itself is none of those things, but that isn't the FBI's argument; it wants the reproduction of the seal to be removed because it believes that it might be used by others to 'deceive or to assert authority'. In other words, some people may copy it and use it to make a fake FBI ID card, or use it on a fake letterhead.

Technically the seal is the copyright property of the FBI, and may not be reproduced and/or published without prior consent.

Frankly I think the FBI is likely to look silly if it pursues this - it might be better to stop rattling the sword, and grant wikipedia a retrospective conditional licence - thus reserving its right to pursue other cases if they arise.

Forum Editor 00:20 04 Aug 2010

"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation." which is interesting. Was that seal reproduction in colour?

It would be quite difficult to make a fake ID using a monochrome image, and even more difficult to do it from a TV screen. It's the high definition reproduction on the wikipedia site that's causing the fuss - easy to copy and use to fake documents.

morddwyd 08:24 04 Aug 2010

That's amazing!

It was a full colour reproduction of the seal, and I found it by googling "fbi tv series just before posting.

Obviously Wiki are taking no further chances!

Kevscar1 08:31 04 Aug 2010

So are they going to do something about.

click here

or here

click here

what about this lot

click here#

Mike D 09:26 04 Aug 2010

It's strange though, because I have just been to the FBI's own site and copied the image of the seal from there without any problems.
Perhaps they will sue themselves!

ronalddonald 00:25 05 Aug 2010

Think all the damage could be done by fraudsters with the seal of the FBI.

I'm glad they are taking steps to stop it, fake id in the wrong hands would be very damaging to the FBI and the victims of this kind of crime.

Kevscar1 05:52 05 Aug 2010

Oh you are so naive, this is nothing to do with their seal or they would be threatening thousands of sites/businesses who sell replicas, wallpapers etc.
For some reason they are going after wikipedia, whether off teir own bat or a government order I don't know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?