I'm so excited...!

Pineman100 10:33 03 Apr 2009

Today I've received an email from Janet Williamson, in the European Commission Grant Award Office in Brussels, to tell me that I've been approved for a Small & Medium Enterprise grant award of 250,000 euros!

All I have to do is send them my bank details, and the full amount will be transferred to my account immediately.

There's only one condition - I must maintain complete confidentiality about this transaction.

Damn! I've blown it.

(These phishing emails are just getting sillier and sillier.)

interzone55 12:08 03 Apr 2009

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone falls for this, as it's not every day one applies for an EU grant.

Here's an example of someone who fell for one of the lottery scams
click here

Clapton is God 12:17 03 Apr 2009

"I'd be interested in knowing if anyone falls for this".

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

I work for a reputable Surrey-based charity who's name has, unfortunately, been mis-used to send fraudulent e-mails around the world which promise the recipients £1,000,000 on receipt of the usual name, address and banking details.

You'd be surprised just how many people write to us us (invariably from the USA) claiming their 'grant' and, in some instances, have even turned up in person at our offices claiming their money.

Their looks of utter horror when we give them the bad news have got to be seen to be believed.

QuizMan 17:36 03 Apr 2009

If you don't want it, I'll take the grant off your hands. It's probably marginally less risky than owning RBS shares, as I currently do!

Pineman100 18:14 03 Apr 2009

Oops! I think I'd rather take my chances with the nice Nigerian gentleman who wants to use my bank account to transfer $10 million out of the country.

He sounds so nice, and he sent me blessings on my whole family.

How can I refuse?

;o)

oresome 20:35 03 Apr 2009

My bank details are readily available on the bottom of any cheque I write, including a specimen signature.

Not that I write many these days.

Chegs ®™ 15:25 07 Apr 2009

The link showing that scottish elderly people have been conned is similar to a local elderly resident who was conned out of over £40,000.These scammers are unscrupulous and care little what misery they cause as long as they get the cash.Perhaps its time to introduce rules for the elderly,such as banning them from owning an email account?

Before I get flamed,I am joking.

Pineman100 18:49 07 Apr 2009

I'm proud to represent the elderly when I say that you are hereby flamed with a burning fireball from hell.

;o)

peter99co 22:53 07 Apr 2009

A fool and his money are soon parted. proverb?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?