I'm English, are you?

version8 17:41 17 Sep 2008

With Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland getting home rule, why is it on a job application i have to put on it White-British.

Surely i'm now White-English?
Well to be honest i was born in London, so i could say White-English-Londoner!

peter99co 17:49 17 Sep 2008

English born and bred. Is it true that the population of true English people is reducing and we are becoming a minority group. Statistics can prove anything but is there any truth in it?

Forum Editor 17:50 17 Sep 2008

on a job application? It's against the law to discriminate against a person on the basis of skin colour, and it certainly has no relevance to a job application.

If you're a British citizen I see nothing wrong in saying just that - your nationality is British.

I'm half Welsh, and the other half of me is a mixture of Scottish and English blood. On my passport it says I am British, and I'm quite happy with that - I can never understand people who get all precious about saying they're Scottish or Welsh or English, it doesn't make the slightest difference as far as I'm concerned.

version8 17:53 17 Sep 2008

Job application states "White British" & then other ethnic backgrounds also British.

Forum Editor 18:10 17 Sep 2008

'True English people' What are they?

There haven't been any pure-blooded English people for over 1000 years, and most of those who call themselves 'true English' are in fact a mixture of several blood lines - take your pick from Italian, French, and Scandanavian, with a drop or two of Belgian and Dutch for good measure.

So Afraid 19:35 17 Sep 2008

If asked i always say i am English,if someone fills out a form and put`s down british thats fine by me,but it should be fine for others if i wish to put down English on the form,but it seems they are taking my right to do so.

peter99co 19:37 17 Sep 2008

It is just that some years ago I saw an article which seemed to imply that English population numbers appeared to be reducing. I did not realise I had included the word -True-

It is of course a result of population movement but I think this was indicating the 'English' birthrate was falling slowly relative to others.

I can't find any facts though. Not very good with research tools.

laurie53 19:43 17 Sep 2008

"I can never understand people who get all precious about saying they're Scottish or Welsh or English, ......."

That's a pity really, because in your position you should be able to understand people who have different views/priorities to your own, even if you are diametrically opposed to them.

NewestRoyWidd1 19:55 17 Sep 2008

Quarter Irish and quarter Scots and proud of my Celtic heritage,the rest is English,if there's any form filling to do,I simply tick British.

Jim Thing 22:37 17 Sep 2008

There was a time in N. Ireland when job application forms required you to state your religion (I wonder why?). Nobody knew quite what to do with me when I wrote 'None.'

You couldn't just write 'Atheist' either — you had to be either a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist.

Forum Editor 23:04 17 Sep 2008

Thanks for the little homily about what I should do in my position. I'm perfectly capable or recognising the right of others to hold views that are different to mine, but sometimes I don't understand them.

if that isn't clear to you, I suggest you consider the difference between acknowledging a right and understanding the manner in which it is exercised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?