I'm dying to tell you something

fourm member 11:54 12 May 2014

Sorry, that should be;

I've something to tell you, I'm dying.

But, then again, so are you.

Are you one of the 21% of people who have discussed your forthcoming death (in 300+ years I hope) with your family?

I seem to remember we've discussed this before but I've raised it because the recent thread about power of attorney seemed to make some people consider acting on this and I wondered if it led to anyone taking it further and talking about death.

john bunyan 15:53 12 May 2014

Yes, I have. In October last I was diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma (Metastatic) Grade 4, M3. A 6 month prognosis. I had a number of metastases, including 2 in the brain. I went and made joint wills (Cost over £500) and as the DVLA withdrew my driving licence, sold my big gas guzzler that my wife found too big and bought a car she likes, in her name. All accounts, and property is in joint names. Started to de clutter the house. Fortunately I have a brilliant oncologist, who, via his colleague, arranged for the brain metastases to be treated (NHS at £17000) by Gamma Knife treatment; he also put me on a 4 dose treatment of Illipimumab - an immune boosting therapy (also very expensive). A recent CT scan shows I am in remission with no sign of the metastases!! It will no doubt return but for the moment I have a(maybe long) reprieve. I have not gone as far as an enduring Power of Attorney. I have discussed all this with my family who still find it difficult to believe as I have few symptoms. My wife will have a good pension but is worried about the cost and difficulty of staying in our house. I would not have said all this on the forum as there are far more difficult cases than mine. The worst part is the non driving, but I am fighting to get my licence back.

martd7 16:15 12 May 2014

Good luck jb,just to say enduring power of attorney has been replaced by 2 separate legal power of attorney documents,basically one to cover a persons health requirements and one for the financial affairs

Forum Editor 16:26 12 May 2014

Shall we stop this version and stick with the other one - it has more responses?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires