Illegal Rave - Toothless Police

PalaeoBill 12:19 15 Nov 2009

As I type this I can hear the 'music' penetrating the double glazing and feel it through the vibrations in the floor boards. A rave started in the fields behind my village at around 1am this morning. The police arrived quite quickly, including a helicopter presence and then did nothing. They did do it immediately though!
At 11am I called the police on the non-emergency number and was told, not surprisingly, that they had had many calls on the subject. I was assured that there is a police presence there and they were monitoring the situation and putting procedures in place to deal with it.
I know they are there, I can see them, they have been there for eleven and a quarter hours now. The music is still going. I thought the police had powers to stop such events, sieze audio equipment etc.
Perhaps I should have suggested that someone was smacking a child, or threatening to smack a child.

Forum Editor 13:50 15 Nov 2009

and a few other things.

Was consent given by the landowner?

Was consent sought/obtained from the local authority?

Is this a free event, or have people been charged for admission?

spuds 15:57 15 Nov 2009

Try contacting the local councils 'nuisance team', they may have further advice or help.

In a situation like this, it sometimes prevents the police from taking immediate action, but a softly softly approach can work wonders in the long term.

User-1229748 18:12 15 Nov 2009

is this happening every weekend?if it's the first you will probably find that measures will be taken to prevent it happening again.we were all young once :o)

AL47 18:20 15 Nov 2009

if i knew of an illegal rave id go, alas if they happen i dont here about them :(

cream. 19:18 15 Nov 2009

Remember the 70's flower power, tranies and the chance of an all nighter blasting out a few groovy tunes.

Upsetting the old foggies and getting the fuzz banging on the door at 3 in the morning.

Bloody kids want locking up. :-)

PalaeoBill 21:17 15 Nov 2009

FE
I don't know if they had the landowners permission or if a fee was levied but I will find out. The parish council knew nothing of it and they didn't obtain consent from the local authorities.
They did leave a pretty awful mess behind. The music was still playing when I left at around 1 but the site was cleared of people by 3 when I got back. The BBC have reported on it:
click here

wiz-king 05:41 16 Nov 2009

They should have organized better weather!

spuds 14:43 16 Nov 2009

One thing could be stated about the good old days. If this occured then it would be a landowner,gamekeeper and their followers plus a few gin traps and stout sticks, and woe betide any trespassers, squatters or what have you ;o(

Nowadays the police, council's,landowners, property owners can do very little without a court order or legal declaration, except making sure that drugs, booze and violent disorder is not taking place.

At this point in time, I would be worried about who was paying for the clean-up operation, in the hope that the field is not public property, and the burden will fall on the tax payer.

PalaeoBill 21:45 16 Nov 2009

Northants Police
click here

Northampton Chronicle and Echo
click here

I particularly like the bit in the reports about the noise disruption being minimal. I beg to differ. I'm in the middle of the village, it must have been dreadful for those nearer the barn and without double glazing.

Spuds: Contractors and council vehicles as well as the police were on site doing a clean up in the afternoon. The road side verges and fields around the barn were covered in litter. A large tanker was parked alongside the barn, I have no idea what for but it looked like one of those that empty septic tanks. I dare say we will be paying for it in the council tax.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?