"I'll Have 'alf"

laurie53 17:01 18 Jan 2009

Many years ago there was a comedy programme on tv and whenever the protagonists ended up in the pub one of the characters, a little old man, would always say "I'll have 'alf"

The phrase has become a family catchphrase, but none of us can remember where it originated.

Can anybody help please?

Marko797 17:08 18 Jan 2009

googled ur title Laurie53 and this came up...

"If you can call it a comedy...

It was called "Love Thy Neighbour", a series I don't suppose we will ever see repeated even on the nostalgia channels.

The character who said it was a little old man (Jacko) in a cap who shared a table with the main characters in the pub. The long-running joke was that he never bought a round but if anyone else offered then he always said "I'll have an half"

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:11 18 Jan 2009

This was used by one of the characters in Early Doors but that series (which was excellent) was fairly recent. It was originally said by Jacko in LTN.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 18 Jan 2009

Jacko in LTN

and his other phrase was "I erd that"

laurie53 19:50 18 Jan 2009

Many thanks.

I knew I'd get the answer!

WhiteTruckMan 20:59 18 Jan 2009

A good candidate for a prime time rerun! With any luck some of the more extreme PC brigade would experience the joys of a non-optional cardiac functional abberation!

WTM

dagbladet 21:39 18 Jan 2009

GANDALF <|:-)>

I reckon 'Old Tommy' on Early doors' is better known for the catch phrase "No thanks, I'll stay on me own".

Quickbeam 00:52 19 Jan 2009

I always thought that was in Peter Tinniswood's 'I Didn't Know You Cared'... Uncle Mort?

tullie 04:17 19 Jan 2009

It was Ill have arf not alf

Forum Editor 06:28 19 Jan 2009

I think you'll find it was 'alf'.

It's 'half' with the 'h' dropped.

Quickbeam 06:58 19 Jan 2009

A Northern 'alf, rather than a Cockney 'arf tha knows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?