Iinteresting observation On a film

Geronimo. 20:55 18 Jan 2009

Just watching Crocodile Dundee on TV, And ive seen it many many times, there is a part in the Film where Linda is at a burger take away & she says the burger looks good but tastes like S*** (Im sure you knew what i meant) but what i noticed was the Word had been cut out from the film due to editing, What i cant understand is this, Why edit that word where our children are subject to near on Nudness in all kinds of forms & with some films & soaps & music videos also the R&B music out today is so aggressive? it seems to me a little attention to a more important area is needed.

Forum Editor 23:19 18 Jan 2009

and where language is concerned some broadcasters and regulatory agencies are particularly sensitive.

We're sensitive to it here, in this forum - I've always believed that unless you start as you mean to go on it's no good complaining when, a few months down the line your forum is awash with obscenities - followed rapidly by the sound of your advertisers rushing for the door.

Your initial post made it because you were quoting a line from a film, otherwise it would normally have been deleted. We don't allow unacceptable words that consist mainly of asterisks because - as you said yourself - people know exactly what the word is; there's no difference between the actual word and the disguised one.

You may feel that 'near nudity' and aggressive music is a more important area, but we're talking about dialogue in a film, and the broadcasters obviously wanted the word out.

Wilham 23:34 18 Jan 2009

It's a good film, well written, and it is a box office success. Linda is a star and role model. Her reaction to the burger adds spice to her diction and personality.

On balance, by blanking the word for a TV audience, the censor has it right. As you say, we all know what it is, and the cut acts as a gentle reminder to the young the word offends a section of society.

I'd leave in the word on dvd's and in cinema.

interzone55 08:45 19 Jan 2009

I suppose the most extreme example of this when Beverly Hills Cop was first shown on TV. They overdubbed alternative dialogue so badly it was like watching a martial arts film.

Any lip readers watching could easily "read" the proper dialogue.

The second time it was shown was a bit better, and later showings were well after the watershed so it could be shown unmolested.

I have to say the cutting language is inconsistent. They often leave minor swear words in during afternoon & early evening films. What time was Crocodile Dundee on?

Seth Haniel 13:49 20 Jan 2009

has been forced to re-record her latest song in America - as it was about to be banned from airplay in its present form.

interzone55 16:01 20 Jan 2009

Would that be down to poor quality, or for language reasons.

If the latter then it doesn't surprise me in the least, the US has a rather mixed up attitude about bad language.

The PMRC (Parents Music Resource Centre), a group set up by Al Gore's wife Tipper, started stickering records in the 80's due to supposed bad language. The even stickered Frank Zappa's Jazz From Hell, which is odd, as it's an instrumental piece entirely devoid of lyrics, foul or otherwise.

Seth Haniel 08:15 21 Jan 2009

there where two words that sounded obscene the way she sang them - so she had to re-recorded with the word 'see' instead of 'seek'.

she must have a peculiar voice - all I can say ;)

Geronimo. 10:28 21 Jan 2009

Well the Film croc Dundee Was aired at around 2100hrs, In relation to music which i belive is shown on daytime tv which is my point to this thread is music like this & before FE might delete this please bare in mind this is my point This is aired on National Tv during the day..??

Im 36 & i think this kinda rubbish isnt acceptable WHY cut swear words out of a movie then let this dissgrace be aired..?
ITs agressive & TOO obvious whats she's selling here

click here

interzone55 10:51 21 Jan 2009

I've now read about this, and I'd say it's down to people's dirty minds rather than the words actually sounding rude, as I've no idea how "If you seek Amy" cam possibly be construed the way some people are hearing it.

Maybe I'll have to look for the unbowlderished version and have a listen.

This is similar to when people though Hendrix was singing "Kiss this guy" rather than "Kiss the sky".
click here

Belatucadrus 13:53 21 Jan 2009

I remember an interview with Michael Winner who commented on the number of cuts the TV censors had made in his film Hannibal Brooks, the one with Oliver Reed and the elephant. As it was only ever a light weight family entertainment film he thought most of the cuts were some jobsworth just showing that they could. Admittedly he had a vested interest, but with the continuous flow of uncensored pointless profanity from Gordon Ramsay and his ilk, you wonder at the logic involved in the process.

egapup 15:30 21 Jan 2009

All these words appear in the Oxford dictionary, perhaps we shouldn't be so fussy. Having worked with the Navy for a good few years, until redundancy, such language is quite normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?