If visiting France

sunnystaines 08:26 13 Jan 2012

A good site with views and info on the towns & villages. pics are good but info in french. just click o the county then the village/town to view.

http://www.villagesdefrance.free.fr/page_france.htm

zzzz999 03:17 14 Jan 2012

That's great. Check out Pays de Bonifacio on Corsica, wow!! And eat your heart out Scarborough

badgery 07:02 14 Jan 2012

"And eat your heart out Scarborough"

OK, but when I go to Scarborough I don't have to raise my voice and shout to make myself understood!!
....ou est mon manteau?

Aitchbee 12:30 16 Jan 2012

sunnystaines - merci beaucoup, pour cette link. Je will 'ave a goosie-gander, n'est pas.

Aitchbee 12:50 16 Jan 2012

...if you highlight a block of French text, you can translate into English within your browser. I tried it with IE8 and Bing translator.

It's a good way to brush up on your French, if it's a bit rusty, like mine, and you might be able to dispense with the translator aid, after a while.

It's a nice website. Thanks again, sunnystaines.

sunnystaines 14:17 16 Jan 2012

i cannot speak or read french, i use the google translater

WhiteTruckMan 20:32 16 Jan 2012

The biggest problem I have when visiting france is being carved up by french drivers. I used to think it was down to my driving style (pretty laid back and relaxed) but when I drove like the local lunatics (dont ask!) it made no difference. However, when I borrowed a french registered car for a day or two - no problem! I have come to the conclusion they just see an english plate and go bonkers!

For my next trip I am currently thinking about having some french style numberplates made up for my car. Apparently I can get them stamped in aluminium, with a french font size but with a uk european logo on them, white & yellow, for about £35. Not strictly legal in this country, but ok in euroland if swapped on the ferry or in the port.

WTM

Aitchbee 20:49 16 Jan 2012

WTM - when in ROME....If you can't beat 'em, then join 'em.

WhiteTruckMan 20:53 16 Jan 2012

I can't speak for rome, but the residents of milan long since replaced their accelerator pedals with a far simpler on/off switch.

WTM

sunnystaines 22:11 16 Jan 2012

if you think french lot are bad try naples in italy a nightmare not sure why as other italian towns are ok.

never seen a place where traffic lights are ignored as if just for show, people on zebra crossings means you accelorate towards them, and no such thing as keeping in the right lane

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?