If true democracy were achieved how practicable?

lofty29 10:30 07 Apr 2009

I first need to explain what I mean by true democracy. That is a situation were everyone who was able to voted, and that the governing body represented 51%+ of the electorate, in my opinion at the moment the system were have is a partial democracy, as governments in power often only represent a minority of the electorate. Locically a system of proportional representation would be needed, but the snag there is that then you would be governed by a coalition, which would be unlikely to take decisions in conflict with the varying policies of various parties, and many times commitees arrive at a compromise which does not solve the problems efficiently. As far as I know there is nowhere that operates under my description of true democracy.

Brumas 12:42 07 Apr 2009

I think that the early Kibbutz system had the right idea but I don't think it lasted.
I take the quote from click here

"Kibbutz members receive the same budget (according to family size), regardless of their job or position. In terms of education, all children start equally and are given equal opportunity. The Kibbutz is governed by a system of direct participatory democracy, where the individual can directly influence issues and events in the community"

BT 16:59 07 Apr 2009

General Election turnout for the last two elections has only been around 60%

click here

Going on these figures

Labour holds 54% of the Parliamentary seats and was voted in by just 32% of the population who are eligible to vote.

These figures clearly demonstrate what Lofty29 say in that..
"governments in power often only represent a minority of the electorate"

newman35 17:23 07 Apr 2009

I suppose for a 'true' democracy the first thing to insist on would be compulsory voting, otherwise whatever system you'll never get a mandate from a majority of the whole population.
Also, would true democracy only be got by referenda on every decision made? This might become technically possible, but what a nightmare!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?