If someone else can do this where's the security

Sapins 09:38 25 Oct 2010

During a conversation with the call centre for my credit card I found out that someones mobile telephone number had been put on my credit card account, when I asked who, and how, someone had been able to do this I was told "don't worry your account is quite safe and no unauthorised transactions have taken place" we will cange the number for you within 5 minutes, this has not happened and an X is in the fixed line number and the box for the mobile is blank. So, putting this number on my account is not classed as a security risk yet you have to go through the security procedure to insert or amend your mobile number!

The number by the way is a genuine one for France, and the person who answered it was as confused as I was as to how it got on my account, it is one of a recent addition of 07 numbers, my own number is an 06 one which I have had for nearly ten years.

Would you accept the explanation given and do you consider this a security risk?

I am writing to their head office to ask for an explanation and I will send it recorded and signed for delivery.

lotvic 13:55 25 Oct 2010

Had similar problem when (4 years ago) CCard address was changed in error and without my knowledge. For 2 months my paper statements were sent to a complete stranger. (I only use online statements now)
I only found out when I applied for a passport and failed their security questions..... helluva mess that was down to me to sort out even tho' it was the Bank in error. Passport Office said either I was a fraud or a victim of ID Theft..

I did get eventually a written apology and explanation (someone was sent for re-training on how to input account numbers on keypad) free Experian Reports before change and after corrected, as the strangers address had been added, I got £'s compensation and a new Card Number.
Had to kick up a lot of fuss.

ronalddonald 18:47 25 Oct 2010

Jesus Christ Lotvic I would never thought this would happen to you, any advice we should follow to stop this happening to people like me and others.

lotvic 20:33 25 Oct 2010

No need for the reference to JC

Why not me? I'm just an account number on their records, same as everyone else :))

Only advice I can offer to anyone is to keep a check on their account details, as it's down to yourself to sort it when anyone (including the bank) make a mistake or attempt ID Theft or clone your card.
Lesson is don't rely on the bank to always be 100%.
Banks Fraud dept is pretty good at picking up dodgy transactions but that's not 100% either.

spuds 23:12 25 Oct 2010

It would be interesting to know what the response from the credit card company will be. You will have to keep us updated.

I have a six month old problem with my credit card company, and apparently the have no time scale to fix the problem of their making.

morddwyd 08:05 26 Oct 2010

If ronalddonald had used the name of the Islamic prophet as an oath it would have been removed long before this, and apologies made.

Sapins 08:37 26 Oct 2010

I will keep you posted but don't hold your breath.

morddwyd, agree with you 100%.

jack 08:50 26 Oct 2010

World we live in has still rely on primates to interface with the wonderful electronic devices that protect us- there will continue to be hix's to bug us.

spuds 10:28 26 Oct 2010

I have just received a interesting publication, and having a quick browse the headlines clearly state 'Fraud levels rise in the UK'. Apparently this is all to do with identity fraud which is costing £2.7bn according to the National Fraud Authority (NFA).

Again according to the report there as been an increase of 10% during the first nine months of this year, and that as been verified by Cifas the UK's fraud prevention service.

Another interesting point in the report, is the experts are clearly stating that "it can be very difficult for a victim to prove they are not the criminal, especially if the crime involves online transactions".

A further point in the report by the NFA states " it typically takes victims of identity fraud 200 hours to 'repair the damage'". Perhaps not taking into account of all the stress and further expense that this type of activity takes. In some cases, the damage may never be repaired.

Doesn't make good reading, especially if some people regard that the majority of us a safe and not to worry, because it may or will never happen to them or us. When it does happen to them, I wonder what their reactions will be!.

johndrew 10:37 26 Oct 2010

I have found in the past when errors in address, telephone number or similar have been disclosed in records held by utility companies, banks or whoever, the standard response is that it is a 'computer error'. When asked who inputs the data the response has been that this is 'outsourced' or no knowledge is available.

It would appear that there is no 'human' responsibility accepted by these organisations for such errors in many cases.

This also applies to software, used mainly by the utility companies, that insists on changing a direct debit at every opportunity in an attempt to keep you in debit - it is far harder to change a supplier if you are in debit.

spuds 10:39 26 Oct 2010

A couple of links might help!.

Attorney General Office click here

FSA click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?