If only I had done that!

TopCat® 17:29 05 Aug 2007

With the added benefit of hindsight, have you ever wondered what may have happened if, for instance, you'd taken an offered career change, which you turned down, or possibly gone in a different educational direction? I had one such opportunity in the sixties which I sometimes reflect on and wonder about.

I had just left the military and still living in London when an executive of Gulf Oil made my wife and I a great offer. This executive was a good friend of my wife's boss and he asked if we would like to take over a brand new garage at Walton-on-Thames. It was situated on a main road, had a small showroom and a ramped lube shop with workshop behind, plus the obligatory fuel and oil dispensers. It came with owner's accomodation close by. We heard too that the Bentley Owners club was not too far away as well. "Fill it up, sir?" :o)

I was really enthusiastic about taking it on, but was brought back to earth quickly by my wife when she told me we needed to go into debt to borrow £5,000. A princely sum at that time and one which we decided after much discussion not to undertake.

Far too late for me now, but I might, just might, have had a string of garages to my name right now and able to afford as many holidays to exotic places as our dear, old FE! :o)

Come on now, bare your soul about what might have been for you! TC.

Ray5776 18:02 05 Aug 2007

I often wonder what might have been but if you are unable or unwilling to take the risk then you never know.
One has to make decisions based on ones circumstances at the time. Most of the successful people I know are the ones that took chances but you don`t meet the other ones that took chances and got it wrong.
If you are content with your life then you made the right decisions.

ray

Totally-braindead 18:16 05 Aug 2007

Personally I don't regret anything and don't spend any time thinking well if I'd done that I might be doing this or whatever, theres no point really. Even if you know someone who took the chance/opportunity you didn't theres nothing to say that it would have worked out for you as well. It might have been an unmittigated disaster and might have ruined your life.

Theres lots of what ifs and lifes too short.

I have to agree with Ray5776 if you are content with your life then you made the right choice.

I would like to be rich, not filthy rich but able to travel the world and live in reasonable comfort but I'm not a gambler and in order to be rich I think you have to be a bit of a gambler so I've no regrets and wouldn't change anything as I don't know if making a different decision would make things better or worse.

Personally I've never had any sort of real decent offer that I refused so I suppose theres nothing in my case to wonder about.

TopCat® 20:18 05 Aug 2007

Good for you, fourm member. That ultimatum certainly worked for you.

Our indecision at the time revolved around the fact that we had never borrowed money for anything during our then short married life. If we wanted anything then we saved for it and the five thousand required to take up that exec's offer was, we decided, too much a risk to undertake. When one considers the salaries of that day then a loan of that size would take many, many years to pay back. Even a decent mortgage was difficult for me to obtain and one has to also remember that a wife's salary wasn't then taken into account by the lenders.

Taking risks in life can bring one many good things but it can also bring hardship and misery if all your hopes and expectations expire. TC.

Ranger 20:27 05 Aug 2007

A couple of circumstances made me go paths I wasn't sure I wanted to go, but as they say in Glasgow, whitsfuryaewillnogobyyea

Legolas 20:44 05 Aug 2007

I wish I hadn't left my apprenticeship at the age of 16 to go and work in a butchers shop for an extra £1.50 week.

Jim Thing 20:54 05 Aug 2007

...I did have one narrow escape. About 25 years ago when I was living and working in Europe I was offered a really attractive and interesting job back in England. It was a very tempting offer and my wife and I thought long and hard about it before deciding to stay where we were (better the devil you know, etc.).

I'm now a reasonably contented pensioner and I sometimes wonder how things would have turned out had I taken the job — the company was owned by a certain Robert Maxwell...

Legolas 21:18 05 Aug 2007

whitsfuryaewillnogobyyea translated is "what is for you will not go by you" but I'm sure you all knew that ;-)

Stuartli 21:28 05 Aug 2007

In my family (it's been the favourite saying for many years) it's: "What's for you won't pass you by."

My grandmother was Scottish and my mother half-Scottish, so presumably it's from the same source as your version (i.e. Glasgow).

Chegs ®™ 02:30 06 Aug 2007

I'm happy in my present circumstances,but years ago I was drifting from one government scheme to another being paid a miserable £25 a week.I marched into the job centre with yet another "schemes" request to attend for interview letter and impolitely told the poor lass on the desk "if you lot send any more of these (censored) schemes request for interview I wont be responsible for my actions!" and stormed out flinging said letter in the bin as I did so.A mate(and neighbour)whom I'd grown-up with went for his interview and was promptly appointed,it was a contractors job at sellafield and his weekly take home was over £300.

Kate B 14:25 06 Aug 2007

I can think of a crucial turning-point in a relationship where I wasn't brave enough to go for it. I wish I had been, and I know the other person also often wonders what would have happened if we'd both been braver at that moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?