Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 8

Brumas 23:02 06 Apr 2007

Two minutes eh!
Still smarting from my mauling I offer this building believed to be a Kirk or Manse somewhere in Scotland. I say Scotland because it was amongst a batch of Scottish postcards obtained from a wee shop in Fort William ages ago.

click here

WhiteTruckMan 23:31 06 Apr 2007

its a wesleyen chapel I've seen or driven past sometime a long time ago. I've spent quite a few minutes staring at the pic but it just won't come. Have to sleep on it, maybe that might help.

WTM

Brumas 23:37 06 Apr 2007

It certainly has an unusual chimney arrangement so I expect that would have stuck in your mind - however with the vast amount of mileage I imagine you do, unless you have a photographic memory, I would think it will certainly take longer then 2 minutes :o)

Woolwell 23:38 06 Apr 2007

I've not seen a Wesleyan chapel that looks like that. Church of Scotland?

WhiteTruckMan 23:42 06 Apr 2007

down every road in britain. It merely feels like that sometimes. And the deja vu feeling i sometimes get when I am lost usually amount to "I was lost here before, last year!"

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 00:00 07 Apr 2007

the more I think its not a (regular) church at all. I dont think a church would have fireplace(s) or sash windows. And the fancy device atop the nearest gable end doesnt have the proportions of a christian cross. Just above the horizontal member theres another one smaller but at an angle, like a weather vane. And you wouldnt have that as part of a cross.

And if it was some form of church hall I would have thought there would be some form of sign outside. At least a noticeboard. However there's something to the right of the door which just might be that.

Some form of rectory/manse, perhaps?

WTM

Forum Editor 01:19 07 Apr 2007

At first I thought it was a house, but now I'm not sure. What introduced a dobt was the fact that it has three chimneys, all at one end of the building, which means that's where the fireplaces were/are, too.

If that's the case I'm inclined to think the rooms inside might be large, and run the whole length of the building, at least on the ground floor anyway - the first floor could have two fireplaces in adjacent rooms.

Perhaps it was the village schoolhouse?

Bingalau 09:07 07 Apr 2007

I've just had a look at the cross thing on Photoshop and when enlarged it looks more like a weather vane. You can see quite distinctly the East and West signs and the direction arrow on the top of the whole arrangement. Very elaborate it looks too. I think the FE is correct and it is more like a village school.

PurplePenny 12:13 07 Apr 2007

I'm with FE - my first thought was schoolhouse. My next thought was doctor's house (no idea why).

johndrew 12:31 07 Apr 2007

Did villages have `Poor Houses` around the time this would have been built?

Brumas 14:04 07 Apr 2007

Wee Eddy - Laurie, where are you? We need some Scottish Expertise on this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?