Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 54

Brumas 21:08 11 Jan 2008

click here

This is not a postcard but an old photograph which , if my memory serves me correctly, was found amongst a large bundle of postcards we bought in Canada many moons ago. It may provide some ‘comic relief’.
The message on the reverse is as follows:-

“A famous sword and tail in action. The horse is the one we drew in the Irish Sweepstakes.

What on earth are they up to?

anskyber 21:26 11 Jan 2008

Rehearsing for a hobby horse festival. click here

Brumas 21:28 11 Jan 2008

I rather thought that the object flying through the air was the famous tail - a bit like 'pin the tail on the donkey' only more rumbustious?

Brumas 21:31 11 Jan 2008

I must admit that the horse would not look out of place on a pantomime stage or indeed taking part in a hobby horse festival. Do they have those sort of festivals across the Atlantic I wonder?

Bingalau 21:34 11 Jan 2008

Looks to me like it is some sort of a game whereby they have to catch the horse's tail and attach it to the horse. Maybe there's a time limit? The horse looks like one of those bucking broncs(I think they use bulls nowadays) where the rider tries to stay on.

alB 21:35 11 Jan 2008

Wonder what the gallows are for behind the chap at the back of the hobby horse ...alB

Bingalau 21:42 11 Jan 2008

Is the bloke bending down keeping a couple of balls in the air with a racket of some kind? (Maybe it is two separate activities). The rider on the horse seems to have funny shaped legs too. Is one of the balls hitting him in the mouth. He may end up with neuralgia!!!

Bingalau 21:43 11 Jan 2008

alB. I think that is part of the railway system, maybe carrying overhead cables.

Brumas 21:48 11 Jan 2008

Presumably for those who fail 'the test' !!

Brumas 21:51 11 Jan 2008

I think the legs on the horse work the same way as they do with Bernie Clifton and his Emu ;o)

As for that cheap Neuralgia dig - I'll get you for that ....

Bingalau 21:55 11 Jan 2008

Brumas. I thought you might!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone