Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 44

Brumas 22:20 30 Nov 2007

click here

A parade of four solid looking semi-detached houses overlooking a large, purpose built yachting pond. No further clues as, yet again this is another un-posted postcard with a ‘standard’ type of back – no message, address or postmark!

Legolas 23:04 30 Nov 2007

That looks a bit like the boating pond in Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae off the West coast of Scotland

ashdav 02:00 01 Dec 2007

On an east facing coast (check the shadows from the railings)or very possibly a north facing coast such as Devon/Cornwall but I doubt this.
It's a small bay which puts Isle of Wight in my mind.
We'll see...

Totally-braindead 09:53 01 Dec 2007

I might be wrong but the last time I had a gues I was right. It looks to me like the boating pond in Dundee. Stobsmuir pond, if the picture is not it its very similar.
See swannie ponds for images click here=

sunny staines 10:04 01 Dec 2007

scottish houses looking at the brickwork.

Totally-braindead 10:12 01 Dec 2007

Been reconsidering my thoughts. I know its an old picture and the poolside has been changed but I don't think it is Dundee because of the hills behind the houses. Its certainly similar though.
Its called swannie ponds because of the swans (obviously).

Legolas 12:49 01 Dec 2007

If you search google for images of millport you will see some very similar houses to the ones in the postcard, although I can't find any images of the boating pond.

Brumas 13:42 01 Dec 2007

I know someone who lives in Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae, so I shall send him a scan of the postcard and wait his verdict. One way or another we shall know the answer.

Legolas 14:03 01 Dec 2007

Good idea Brumas. I spent many childhood holidays on Millport although the boating pond wasn't one of our usual haunts. I await the outcome with interest.

Legolas 14:22 01 Dec 2007

Should also have said I showed the postcard to my Father and with no promping from me he said it looked like the boating pond on millport.

laurie53 19:01 01 Dec 2007

First place I thought of was Stobsmuir, but on reflection I'm not so sure.

Certainly looks very familiar though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?