Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 38

Brumas 20:57 02 Nov 2007

This British castle, click here of obvious strategic importance, is guarding a commanding coast-line but Bingalau - is it Formby beach and if so, whereabouts exactly? You are not going to get that free drink that easily! I’m only jossing mate, I know you can take a laugh and a joke – you wouldn’t have joined the Royal Marines if you couldn’t ;o))

Now, to be serious! The first image is in fact 2 real photographic postcards laid together to form a panoramic shot and the second is a standard postcard; the backs all have a common, pretty standard format i.e
Post Card/Carte Postale along the top with a vertical dividing line, the left-hand side titled Communication-Correspondance and the right-hand side titled Address-Adresse. In the square for the stamp is the stylised monogram K Ltd. As they are all unposted there are no other clues.

click here

click here

After all the hype over this posting regarding how difficult it will be, I will not be at all surprised if someone instantly recognises it!!!

Bingalau 21:01 02 Nov 2007

From the way it's leaning it can only be "Pisa Castle". Now I have solved the hard one, I will have a shuffti at the other two pictures.

Brumas 21:10 02 Nov 2007

No free 'Dark & Stormies' for you my lad!

alB 21:10 02 Nov 2007

Just a quick guess to get the ball rolling, could it be Peel Castle on the IOM ...alB

Brumas 21:14 02 Nov 2007

You rotter, spoiling my fun - I have just Googled Peel Castle and it looks like you are correct - well done! Ten minutes!! now I will have to go and scan another one - I had a feeling this would happen.

alB 21:18 02 Nov 2007

Sorry, I recognised it more or less straight away, spent many a holiday on the island when we where kids, my father had family that lived there, when the tide was in there was a ferry to take you across and when the tide was out there was a sort of walkway that was stretched across to go over, quite scary for a young lad of six or seven ...alB

Bingalau 21:28 02 Nov 2007

fourm member . I thought you were going to swing it my way for a minute then.

Brumas 21:30 02 Nov 2007

I can't hear you - I'm still sulking.
Yah Boo Sucks!!

Brumas 21:56 02 Nov 2007

I have just re-read Fourm Member's Castles Post and I must apologise for not seeing Quickbeam's pick - if I had, I obviously would not have made such a fool of myself by offering a mystery picture that wasn't!!

Full marks and apologies to Quickbeam.

crosstrainer 07:49 03 Nov 2007

Before I even saw it!!! Well done Quickbeam

Quickbeam 07:58 03 Nov 2007

Yes I recognised it at once, I've been there many times when visiting the IOM for the racing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires