Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 22

Brumas 20:28 28 Jul 2007

click here

A wood burning loco being refuelled by a group of, what appears to be, Eastern European servicemen.
I was a loco spotter as a youth so I know this is definitely not a British loco but that is as far as my sketchy knowledge goes.

The back of this postally unused postcard offers no clues as the words POSTCARD, CORRESPONDENCE and ADDRESS are printed in English which suggests this is a British postcard.

WhiteTruckMan 20:56 28 Jul 2007

I will study it in detail later tonight after i have fixed the tumbledrier door that has fallen off. (never a dull moment round here, especially on a saturday night!)

WTM

Brumas 21:01 28 Jul 2007

Commiserations!

Bingalau 21:19 28 Jul 2007

Well I would have a guess at India for some reason. The servicemen look very British to me. Must be in the early 1900's though. Lovely looking Loco. I'm not into train spotting but it looks nice. Can the train be traced through its number?

Woolwell 00:08 29 Jul 2007

It seems to have a different number on the tender to the loco.

WhiteTruckMan 00:44 29 Jul 2007

its an early 20th century russian engine. I'm guessing because the guy on the far right looks like he's wearing a blouse type garment, not a british tunic. So I did some digging for russian loco's and found this

click here

While not the same engine, I think its from the same family of engines, but from a later time.

WTM

sunny staines 04:57 29 Jul 2007

eastern european stlye numbers printed on the loco

sunny staines 04:58 29 Jul 2007

a pure guess bulgaria

Brumas 13:12 29 Jul 2007

Where is Ian Allan when you need him? :o)

Woolwell 14:40 29 Jul 2007

I thinks it is a Russian Ov engine. See OV 841 click here and click here

TopCat® 15:01 29 Jul 2007

His second link is spot on for the boiler design.

As a fellow steam enthusiast I've just spent the last two pleasurable hours looking click here The links takes one all over the world and, on the Finnish link, I learnt something. They have a picture of Lombard's tracked steam logger engine with skis! This was used to pull out felled timber which saved laying down rail tracks!

Lombard's track design was the forerunner to all later tracked vehicles and machines and was duly taken up by Caterpillar. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?