Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 20

Brumas 22:16 07 Jul 2007

As number 19 was positively identified so quickly I thought I may as well offer another puzzle, one not set in the UK, which may prove a little trickier!

This appears to be some kind of military enclave in an Eastern/Middle Eastern location.
The person who identifies the soldier as well gets full marks – only joking!

click here

Brumas 22:28 07 Jul 2007

Come on, come on, what's keeping you lot - you've had 12 minutes already ;o)

anskyber 22:54 07 Jul 2007

India, Calcutta.

Brumas 23:06 07 Jul 2007

Looks pretty grim, was you unfortunate enough to be stationed there?

Bingalau 10:07 08 Jul 2007

Looks familiar to me, but as I am just off out on the booze I will have to give it a good coat of "Looking At" later.... By the way the soldier is Private John Smith of the King's Liverpool regiment. I've forgotten his number..

Brumas 10:54 08 Jul 2007

Looks more like WRAC NELL.Eskimo, late of the 31st Foot&Mouth (Formby Detachment). They built them big and strong in those days ;o)

Guardianangel 11:54 08 Jul 2007

That's a bit out of my league and I've never been to India.

Kate B 12:58 08 Jul 2007

I'd guess India, too, from the solid Victorian building that dominates it. It looks a bit like where the Taj hotel stands in Mumbai click here and click here and according to Wikipedia, there was a tram route in that part of the city. But I'm not sure, I certainly wouldn't swear to it.

Stuartli 15:20 08 Jul 2007

Scrolling down to the section Between The Wars here:

click here

lists the King's Regiment and associated units areas of service - it includes India.

The wording of this paragraph will bring a sense of deja vu:

Iraq. In 1920-21 the 96th was stationed in Iraq, losing 134 dead when a column was overwhelmed near Hillah by rebel tribesmen. Captain Henderson, who died fighting, was awarded a VC. The 2nd King’s were based in Baghdad 1925-27, when they handed over to the newly-formed Iraqi army.

Brumas 19:50 08 Jul 2007

The buildings do look quite the sameshape/style in the second link, so it looks like it could be India.

Brumas 19:52 08 Jul 2007

Very,very interesting link. As for the deja vu - quite spooky really!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017