Identification Longshot and Talking Point 1238

Brumas 23:04 05 Dec 2014
Answered

Good Evening All

This is A GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD unposted and offering no clues.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:36 05 Dec 2014

Holland?

QuizMan 23:37 05 Dec 2014

Somewhere in Holland. Statue seems to start Voor Hen...

Woolwell 07:35 06 Dec 2014

It's a Dutch War Memorial. It reads For Those Who Fell.

sidecar sid 09:17 06 Dec 2014
Answer

Marine Monument Den Helder. Older pictures at the bottom of the page.Marine monument

sidecar sid 10:01 06 Dec 2014

A translation of the page for those of us that are interested. It also explains the monuments current location.

description

Obelisk in stone. At the front a relief of a female figure with child. At her feet a dead man's figure with that of the Dutch flag. On the left and right of the eight meter high obelisk plaques are mounted with 58 names of victims of the Great War (right H.Ms. William of Ewijck and left the Navy people there from the G11 I (added in 1939). On the back of the pillar an empty plate (formerly with the names of the victims of World War II) under the arms of the Netherlands and the former Dutch East Indies made, beneath the name of gelder yes. Around the monument are four poles. The chain that connects the poles comes from the torpedo boat G11, who during World War I near Terschelling on a mine. Made in the pavement at the front is a world map. Next to the monument stands a glass enclosure for a book containing the names of victims of World War II

inscriptions

FOR THOSE WHO FELL Signed: A. G. Lom / The Hague

artist

A. Gerard van Lom (Amsterdam 1872-The Hague, 1953), sculptor (RKD database). comments

symbolism The Female figure symbolizes the Dutch people. With her left hand she leans on an anchor to indicate that she trusts her navy. The child represents the future and the coming generations, for whom the sacrifices were made in the war and tilt as a symbol for this already a part of the Dutch flag up that covered the fallen man at the feet of the female figure. Unveiled on October 14, 1922 by Queen Wilhelmina and her Prince Henry the Havenplein, it moved in 1993 to building 'The Bow' and in 2001 to the current location.

Brumas 10:08 06 Dec 2014

sidecar sid,Well Done. I was still looking until I got boss-eyed!

john bunyan 10:56 06 Dec 2014

sidecar sid

Well done indeed; I lived 10 years in the Netherlands and have , years ago, worked with the RNMC but I could not place it. Good find.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone