Identification long shot?

Brumas 23:43 08 Feb 2007

My wife collects pre-war picture postcards, mostly of North Northumberland (the area we live in)also a specific type of heraldic card showing town coats-of-arms and lots more beside!
I also quite enjoy getting involved finding out where places are and identifying strange buildings/objects, deciphering messages etc. etc.
I wonder if anyone can throw any light on this particular postcard.

Around the inner circle is written ‘Fight the good fight of faith’ and I obviously have Googled the Latin phrase so I know what that means. Does anyone recognise which Cadet Brigade it is and possibly the fine imposing house/school for no reason if only to satisfy my own curiosity?

This is the first time I have used Image Shack so I hope I have done it correctly.

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Brumas 10:14 09 Feb 2007

I have just realised the latin motto is not very clear - it is HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE.

laurie53 10:23 09 Feb 2007

Shot in the dark - school or college? Combined Cadet Force (CCF)?

Laurie

Kate B 13:13 09 Feb 2007

The motto is that of the Garter and means "shame on him who thinks evil of it". Is there something with a connection to the Garter in that neck of the woods?

Bingalau 13:25 09 Feb 2007

Could the monogram in the center be something to do with "...... Merchant's College" I think deciphering the monogram will probably prove useful if anyone can do it. It looks like a school type building to me. ..Bingalau..

cycoze 13:58 09 Feb 2007

As it states Cadets, i would assume the M and C night mean Military College.

The cannons might imply Artillery links.

Z1100 15:36 09 Feb 2007

click here

The kind people here help with identifying all sorts of things in photos and with ancestral tracing too.

Hanx!
K.

Watchful 15:53 09 Feb 2007

Thanks for that link; just what I was looking for.

IClaudio 16:13 09 Feb 2007

Looks a bit like Marlborough College to me. The 'Honi soit...' motto appears on all Army badges and stndards.

Bingalau 20:39 09 Feb 2007

What's the third letter in the monogram? is it a "J" ? ..Bingalau..

Brumas 22:41 09 Feb 2007

Thanks for all the input.
Z1100 - shall give that a try.
Bingalau - hard to tell, looks like an I.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache