Ideal for beginner - of course they are not

pj123 17:50 23 Jun 2006

I have seen many Ads offering 6 or 7 year old computers for sale. They all seem to say "Ideal for beginner". Of course they are not ideal for a beginner. Why would they be.

If I was a beginner I would like to think I had the latest technology.

ade.h 17:58 23 Jun 2006

Certainly, a beginner should have XP for ease of use. I'm in the process of helping two PC novices with a similar lack of knowledge or a natural PC brain, and the results are quite different. My uncle has an old, donated piece of junk with Windows 95 - he and his wife are struggling by slowly. My neighbour, with his shiny new XP toy, is getting on just great. He used to have a Win98 machine and hardly ever used it simply because he couldn't.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:10 23 Jun 2006

As I see it, you should only buy a six or seven year old computer if that really is all you can afford.

justme 19:42 23 Jun 2006

While I agree with your thinking have you considered that a beginner may not want to spend a large sum of money on the off chance that they like computing or it is going to do what they want to do.

When you bought your first car did you buy the latest super duper model or an old banger? A cheap computer may not be the easiest to use or run the latest programs but it will allow them to get a taste of computing without spending a fortune.

wolfie3000 19:47 23 Jun 2006

I see no point in buying a pc thats 4 or 5 years old as it wont run anything.

If it has win 95 or 98 you would end up with more problems than if it was a new pc with win xp,

No updates, most modern software wouldnt run on it, it would be slow and upgrading in the end would cost more than the pc itself.

Buy new as it saves problems in the end.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:01 23 Jun 2006

6 year old PC ideal for a beginner NO.

However if all you need is to write a fwe letters and surf the net a little then it is ideal.

justme 20:04 23 Jun 2006

Windows XP has been around for a few years now and it is likely that a 4 or 5 year old computer would have XP installed on it. The computers that pj123 was referring to were 6 or 7 year old ones which would be in the windows 98 period.

Having said that, I agree that buying new is best but I still think that someone who is only wanting to try computing will buy a cheap one to see if they like it.

While it may not seem like it on this forum, there are some people who do not love computers as much as the people here do and would be unwilling to buy the latest computer in case they do not want to continue using it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:04 23 Jun 2006

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ wrote, most people only use their computer for word processing and surfing. These computers are ideal for them if they do not want to spend a lot. The majority of home users that I know are not interested in XP in the slightest so long as they can surf the net and do the occasional village fĂȘte poster. Windows 98 is more than sufficient in these cases.

G

namtas 20:10 23 Jun 2006

>>I see no point in buying a pc thats 4 or 5 years old as it wont run anything>> Giving a false impression here, one of my PC's with Windows ME is 4 years old and I have only yet found one programme that it would not run.

semag 20:11 23 Jun 2006

"If I was a beginner I would like to think I had the latest technology."
Yeah mate, nice if you afford it.

semag 20:12 23 Jun 2006

Missed out the "could"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?