I,D Cards again

carver 15:24 07 Aug 2009

I know that I.D cards and peoples views on them have been aired before on this site but this is some thing you might like to think about click here

This is the piece from the mail click here

bluto1 20:10 07 Aug 2009

First I've seen of this today and it,s quite chilling news. As a sensible precaution I always take news like this with a pinch of salt at first, until several other (hopefully unrelated)news sources report on it. But it still remains chilling.

laurie53 20:37 07 Aug 2009

I really don't see this as much of a surprise, or a story.

When cloning any card if it takes too long it's not worth doing.

Don't forget the brains working on the cloning systems are just as good as the brains working on the security systems.

The good guys normally have have better resources and facilities, that's all.

DieSse 20:46 07 Aug 2009

"When cloning any card if it takes too long it's not worth doing."

On yea? - so you don't think cloning an ID card would be worth a bit of time and effort to a criminal? It would be Priceless.

carver 21:23 07 Aug 2009

"Don't forget the brains working on the cloning systems are just as good as the brains working on the security systems"

Got news for you, the bad guys are normally better than the people who think up the security system.

These I.D cards are worth more than ANY credit card to the right people.

laurie53 07:01 08 Aug 2009

"It would be Priceless."

No it wouldn't, it would be about the same as a passport, probably less, which can be got for three figures if you have the right contacts.

"so you don't think cloning an ID card would be worth a bit of time and effort"

Exactly so - "a bit" of time and effort.

Cloning cards is basically the same as stealing cars or breaking into houses, if it takes too much time and effort it's not the trouble.

The return on cards is likely to be better, therefore the investment greater, but it's the same principle.

jack 08:23 08 Aug 2009

Identity document/ on line security/banking systems.

If it can be made, some one will break it.
It has all been said before.
And thinking about it
The more complex the item is made, the more it will be accepted as real without in depth scrutiny at point of inspection

the hick 08:53 08 Aug 2009

To get some idea of the real risk here, it would be helpful to know how much ID card forgery/cloning gets detected in other countries like France and Germany, which I believe have had ID cards for many years. However, I would suggest this could be very difficult to find out - it is most unlikely any government would wish to release such figures.

laurie53 19:09 08 Aug 2009

"other countries like France and Germany,"

They have a different class of criminal to us!

They also deport anyone who abuses their hospitality.

Much of this forgery is carried out by non UK citizens (that's not a racist comment, that's a fact of life) and they do it here because we are so reluctant to deport.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017