ID Cards

CliffP 14:19 08 Jul 2005

So exactly how will the introduction of ID cards have prevented yesterday's appalling events?

Similarly, the ban on certain types of guns a year or so ago, how has that prevented or reduced gun crime?

Am I missing something?

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:29 08 Jul 2005

Spain has ID cards and they did not prevent the Madrid bombing.

G

spuds 14:38 08 Jul 2005

Like all technology and 'law improvements', the mastermind criminal will know doubt find a way to add it to their advantage.Nothing is 100% and can never be.

justme 16:03 08 Jul 2005

Just think how many wallets/handbags are stolen every day and you will realise that a piece of plastic with a chip on it is of no use unless everywhere has some sort of scanner to check that the bearer is in fact the person named on the card. This is before cards are counterfeited.

Can you imagine the delays at the bus stops, trains and of course the London tube if everyone had to have their ID verified.

ID cards are just an expensive way of fooling most of the people that the Government is actually doing something when in fact they can not do anything against the likes of yesterday.

It may be prejudging the issue, but I would not be surprised if some of the people responsible were British subjects and as such were entitled to have an ID card.

wiz-king 16:31 08 Jul 2005

It is far safer to have a simple card with your NHS number on which entitles you to basic treatment, health insurance and pensions and have separate databases for other things. If the powers that be could standardize on a db format using the number that everyone born here should have anyway it should be fairly simple to check one db against any other. If a number appears more than once the it should ring alarm bells! All visitors to the country could be issued with a time limited card on arrival with a different set of numbers.

Keep it simple stupid - is the name of the system

Aspman 16:57 08 Jul 2005

The cards contain biometric information also. What happens when your biometrics get compromised. You can get a new credit card with a new number and pin but you can't get new fingerprints.

Ancient Learner 17:18 08 Jul 2005

But they can't keep it simple can they They have to be seen to use all the latest fads or be ridiculed. Trouble is that they will be ridiculed whatever they do.

And I don't fancy having to get myself some new fingerprints and/or iris when some joker pinches my ID!

I still remember my war time ID number, We all had to learn it then. And I can still remember my army number from National service too. Um! -- now what is my 'phone number?

pj123 17:57 08 Jul 2005

Most other countries have ID cards. The UK is, I think, the only country that does not have compulsory ID cards. Let's keep it that way. ID card (compulsory or not) will not stop any terrorist act.

S@ndr@ 18:57 08 Jul 2005

Doubt that the main aim of these things is security,it's more likely another way of keepinng tabs on joe public.Another word for control of the masses.

VCR97 20:48 08 Jul 2005

I don't think that anyone has ever claimed that ID cards by themselves would prevent anything.

We already carry various "ID" cards which could be used to keep tabs on us in one way or another. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. Remember what happened to other complex IT systems. It'll probably never get off the ground.

Ancient Learner: I even remember the number of my RAF ID card. Makes a useful password.

S@ndr@ 21:54 08 Jul 2005

I already have an I.D card issued to me in 1947 when I was born.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?