icerocket

spikeychris 18:44 08 Aug 2004

The foundation for IceRocket is simple: when you type in a query, whether it be a website or image search, it gathers results from the top 7 search engines on the Internet (Google, Altavista, etc.) and compiles them into one compact list. The best part? It does this in less than a second, which makes for an easy, quick search, that’s both efficient and effective.
It has a downloadable toolbar that lets you perform an IceRocket search without the hassle of visiting a search engine.

It looks like Google (a bit too much really) but its a million times better as its not add managed, it looks for what you want. Its Googles intelligent brother that doesn't spam you to death.

Try it out and check out the snapshots on the left.

The .co.uk version is under construction.

click here

Needed posting here as its moving to fast next door.

Forum Editor 19:35 08 Aug 2004

and fast is the word.

I'm intrigued by the PDA search facilities and I'm going to try it out this week - an excellent thing for people like me, who move around a lot, and don't always want to lug a laptop, or go searching the web conventionally on a PDA.

I have a Psion 5MX, and although I also have another PDA I can't give up the Psion, which is one of the best little devices I ever used. The email search facility will be great for that.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:04 08 Aug 2004

While we are on a 'beta testing for the hive mind of PCA forum', I have just downloaded the new kid on the block for search engines...Blinkx. I'll post on the progress next week or so. click here. The site is somewhat slow today but so is this ;-))))))

G

Forum Editor 20:19 08 Aug 2004

Now there's a server under load! Gave up after 2 minutes - I'll try again later.

Forum Editor 22:51 08 Aug 2004

downloading now - blinx looks interesting to say the least.

spikeychris 15:06 09 Aug 2004

Well GANDALF <|:-)> it looks like it could be a good little prog. Trouble is I cant suss it out properly...

Pesala 15:44 09 Aug 2004

The search results seem to be more relevant than those from Google. Nice clean interface too. That it looks very much like Google is a plus point in my view as there is nothing new one needs to learn to use it.

ventanas 17:07 09 Aug 2004

That's funny, just been reading an article about blinkx, and toying with the idea of trying it.

It seems that it takes note of what you do, on your pc or on the net, and uses this come up with relevant info to what you are reading or working on at each paricular time. Looks like it might be ok - providing you've nothing to hide.

Chris, bookmarked your link. Thanks.

ayrmail 17:23 09 Aug 2004

Tried a search that took google about 4/5 attempts, icerocket 1st item on page didn’t even give it full name. Good post.

Chegs ® 18:16 09 Aug 2004

I have bookmarked those two,but before I change from google,can someone explain this bit of Chris' post "Its Googles intelligent brother that doesn't spam you to death. " I dont get the connection between spam and Google?

spikeychris 18:42 09 Aug 2004

Chegs ®, my own personal feelings but in the early days Google was a great site it has however turned into a big salesroom. I never just use Google, I always use Google groups (and still do)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?