ICE

Cannuck 01:45 03 Nov 2006

Friends have sent me information about the ICE programme being used over the pond.

Basically ICE is an anagram for "In Case of Emergency", and the emergency services are promoting it to save lives, and inform loved ones in cases of accidents or emergencies.

Most people have a list of names in their cell phones, and if you were incapacitated, say, in an auto accident, the EMS wouldn't know which name to call for information, or to inform of the accident, so you put the number you would want called under the heading ICE, and the EMS know to call that number.

Seems to be catching on over there with a lot of the emergency services promoting it, and should work here just as well. Could be a life saver.

wolfie3000 01:55 03 Nov 2006

The ICE Number in mobile phones is well known over here and me and the girlfriend adopted it a while back.

Fingers crossed we dont ever need it.

DrScott 11:01 03 Nov 2006

in car entertainment which is what I thought this thread might be about. Never mind.

GroupFC 13:01 03 Nov 2006

Indeed it has been promoted over here as well for quite sometime. IIRC, there was particular comment/promotion after 7/7.

Incidentally, I don't think it's an anagram, more like an acronym (click here and click here) - LOL!

Kate B 19:18 03 Nov 2006

Yup, it's an acronym. An acronym is a word made up of initial letters that you can actually say as a word, ie Aids, Unesco, that kind of thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires