I would be grateful for your opinion

Forum Editor 14:08 25 Feb 2006

on this:-

click here

€dstowe 14:32 25 Feb 2006

I agree with most of that. What is great, though, is being able to leave it behind in its entirety - don't you ever want to do that?

I think I mentioned the other week that I'm learning to fly (an aircraft!) and to be up there with no phone, no computer (the plane I'm training on is instruments only, no auto anything). The only contact I have with the outside world is my instructor and ground control. It will be really wonderful in a few weeks when I can go solo.

Before I was flying, I would get peace and solitude from night hiking where I would set off in the evening with a back pack and tent, walk into the unknown (well, I'd have an idea where I was), set up my tent and spend the night under the stars. Obviously that's much easier now I've left London but even before that, I would drive off to somewhere new and do the same.

Try something to get away from it all - it's much more interesting and exciting when you get back to it after even a short break.

Forum Editor 14:45 25 Feb 2006

chills the blood. Last summer my wife got it into her head that she wanted to do this, and nothing I said would deter her. She had a few lessons - with me sitting nervously on the ground - and wasted no opportunity of telling anyone who would listen how wonderful it was.

Fortunately for my nerves (and her bank account) her enthusiasm seems to have waned somewhat since then.

The internet thing fascinates me. When I fly to America I always use British Airways. They are the only non-american airline to have their own terminal facilities at JFK New York, and they provide you with free access to a high-speed broadband connection - you can just sit at a bar, plug into a LAN port and surf to your heart's content. I sit there and watch people unpacking laptops and plugging in, and I get a slightly creepy feeling. Nobody's talking to anyone, yet there they are, two feet from the next person, clicking away madly. I've even seen people walk up to a total stranger and ask anxiously "will you be long?" It looks as if we have developed a really serious addiction to the internet.

Monument 14:46 25 Feb 2006

Could I live without it? Yes. Would I want to live without it? No. It has made my life much easier giving me more time to do the things I enjoy.

Just two examples:
I don't have to go down to the supermarket, wasting two hours of my day. Risking trolley rage, a long queue at the check out and the likelyhood that my car will have a new dent when I return to the car park.

I designed and booked my summer holiday online. I took virtual tours of the hotels I considered staying in, I read other travellers reviews on Tripadvisor, I watched webcams of the resorts. I found the flight times that suited me and not the travel agent. I did not have to deal with a "Computer says no" assistant.

A brilliant invention/development that is only just beginning to scratch the surface of its potential.

DieSse 14:59 25 Feb 2006

What it's too easy to develop an addiction to is not so much the internet per se - but being in constant touch with our working lives. I don't see the net as a *bad thing* in some ways, as it actually makes our working lives easier and more productive.

But it's still essential to learn how to switch off completetly, and not be in touch with work for a while - and more importantly, feel at ease with that situation.

The net brings us so many advantages that it would be foolish to deny them - but as with many facilities the net makes a good servant, but a bad master.

Simply keep it as your servant and don't let it rule your life.

Haol 15:00 25 Feb 2006

I certainly am addicted and I'm only 14. Even though I'm not a business man I do get bored very easily if I'm not on a computer, with friends or having fun. The internet is a glorious invention yet a dangerous one.

Jackcoms 15:06 25 Feb 2006

"I would be grateful for your opinion"

On what?? Your photo??

Sorry, FE, I'm not really into men, so I'm unable to comment. ;-))

Forum Editor 15:14 25 Feb 2006

Errr, no.

I meant the blog.

Joe R 15:16 25 Feb 2006

The internet has certainly changed my life, and also of my entire family.

From shopping, booking holidays, being able to check reviews, on anything expensive you are considering buying, to MSN Messenger, which if taken from them, would have my two daughters tearing their hair out, (as well as mine's and their mothers) in despair.

As Monument states above, I also could live without it, but, as it is in use for a fair percentage of each day, I have no wish to be without it.

It is a font of knowledge and education, and allows the children to brush up on their Schoolwork, (in particular "homework") and makes it a generally better experience.

I could go on and on, about the numerous benefits, but suffice to say, that the internet, for me is now, a large part of our life.

Sir Radfordin 15:18 25 Feb 2006

There is a bit of a chicken and egg things going on there - if we didn't have the internet you might not be able to do your job, but would you have a job to do?

I guess another way of looking at things is to ask if we could continue to function for a period of time, if for whatever reason, connectivity was lost. Its easy to say that you'd just go to the local shop to buy the food etc - but then you realise that there is a network backbone to everything we do.

As the saying goes, the higher your climb the harder you fall. We've moved so far forward in what we can do, that the fall back to basics would be much harder than it would have been even just 10 years ago.

I am sure people have asked the same question in years gone by - could we cope if the latest technology was taken away. Of course we would learn to cope, but I expect that it would be a long and painful process.

This highlights the need to be interdependent on technology - to use it to our advantage, but not to become so dependent on it that without it we cease to exist.

If you can turn your computer off at night and sleep knowing that any emails will still be there for you to read in the morning you're probably still ok!

Forum Editor 15:22 25 Feb 2006

"I do get bored very easily if I'm not on a computer, with friends or having fun."

Read books - it may not sound like fun, but it is. You can lose yourself in books more than in any other way, more than films or TV, certainly. Reading books will expand your consciousness, make you a more interesting person,give you a wider understanding of the world, and of your fellow human beings. I know that might all sound a bit far-fetched to you, but it's true, and if you read a good book every month for a year you'll realise there's another world on the written page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?