I want to get off

Apron 12:38 31 Oct 2006

I have just heard on the radio that families in the UK are expected to spend £120 on Halloween celebrations and costumes. Who is spending my share I wonder. Now, assumimg that this figure is arrived at from previous years spending, what happened to last years costumes?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:53 31 Oct 2006

That would be myself and my partner spent each. When you add in the cost of a meal, drinks, travel etc, £120 is about right, it is not just the costumes.

G

jack 14:09 31 Oct 2006

You can my Share for this year and last year and next year also.
Spending money on such American nonsense is crass in the extreme.

PurplePenny 14:37 31 Oct 2006

It isn't completely American: whilst the present form (and name) of Trick or Treat is indeed American, the tradition of dressing up and going door to door is British: it's called "guising"

In Ireland there was a "trick" element but it was not the same as it is now: the child at the door had to perform a trick (e.g. recite a poem, sing a song, do a handstand) in order to earn the sweets.

An American reader here was telling me this morning that that aspect of the tradition still exists in parts of America and some kids do still perform their party trick before being given a treat.

spuds 15:27 31 Oct 2006

A bit more nonsense about peoples spending power, from some possible expert or organization. I would bet in my area, something like £120 would cover the whole district, not an individual.All the kid's use hand-me-downs from previous years.

Ebenezer Scrooge had the right word for it- Humbug.

ezypcy 15:37 31 Oct 2006

Maybe if we left it purely to the kids (not the big
silly looking ones) then this figure of £120 would plunge!

jack 17:00 31 Oct 2006

It is still ,like Mothers Day[not Mothering Sunday]Fathers Day and I suspect a few more that have escaped me- simply a marketing ploy by the big Corps to relieve us of our hard earned spondoolicks
More fool those succumb .

Apron 17:00 31 Oct 2006

My own children are too old to have celebrated in this way. We just had their friends in for ghost stories and fun food. They made their own costumes. I have thousands of American neighbours and I have to say the limit their childrens activities. They will all be home by 8.30pm. The British children will be out till all hours.

Forum Editor 17:58 31 Oct 2006

and if people want to enter wholeheartedly into this kind of thing I'm all for it. It's harmless enough, so what's the problem? I people want to spend their money in this way then good luck to them.

I don't celebrate Halloween, I prefer to let my wife answer the door to the kids who come trick or treating - she goes way over the top with sweets and stuff, but she loves it, so I'm happy.

mammak 19:18 31 Oct 2006

Only wish Christmas cost as little as Halloween I dont mind it we usually have a wee party for the little un she loves that and ducking for apples bit of harmless fun for the kids and only costs a few pounds, not any where near £120.

spikeychris 19:31 31 Oct 2006

My wife and son are currently walking the streets knocking on doors dressed as vampires – she’s as mad as a mattress but her costume actually ticks quite a few of my boxes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?