I have just read the Windows 9 article

wee eddie 22:28 19 Aug 2014

If it is correct I don't think that Microsoft have understood the problem.

Few of us like those stupid Squares and Rectangles, apart from being condescending, in assuming that our manual dexterity is insufficiently controlled to touch an area of the screen 10mm in diameter, which is roughly what the current Program Icons are. They make the screen look like a Primary School Play Board.

I like my screen to display the Photograph of my choice and little else, I'm sure that many Wage Slaves have similar feelings as the standard of Office decoration is usually tasteless and boring.

There is little wrong with the "Charms" concept, apart from an inept choice of name and it's method of display/format. I was going to use rather stronger language there but decided that it was not a good idea to try FE's patience at the present!

All in all, if I can have a pretty screen (my choice) to look at, I will manage to overcome almost any peccadillos that Microsoft might chose to throw my way.

And before anyone says, in a rather po-faced manner, that it can be altered to achieve such a description. Think on this;

If you were to buy a Coat, you would expect to be able to put it on and walk out the shop. You would not expect to have to get the colour changed, the collar altered and the buttons replaced. If that was what was on offer, you might easily go into another shop and see what they had to offer.

lotvic 23:44 19 Aug 2014

Having just had a quick look at article click here I can only agree with you. Stupid Squares and Rectangles.

Aitchbee 00:00 20 Aug 2014

Squares and Rectangles are sensible geometric shapes just mindin' their own business [innocent by-standers] ... so less of the stupid, please - if you don't mind, as it might hurt their feelings.

Woolwell 10:19 20 Aug 2014

I quite like it! But then I like W8 too.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:35 20 Aug 2014

I think the problem is that Microsoft are trying to tell us what we want instead of asking us what we want.

Woolwell 11:12 20 Aug 2014

Jock1e - Have you any idea of the expense of having 2 versions? That is impractical.

Believe it or not software companies employ "Human Interface Consultants" to advise on the look and feel of a system and to make the interface easier to use.

Although not qualified as such a person I did spend some really enjoyable time with a US team tweaking the interface of a piece of software. There reaction was "You really want it like that! Ok that's easy' to "you cannot possibly want that! That's hard". In both cases I did want it and they thought only the geek way. There is too a temptation to add in a fancy looking bit that in reality achieves little apart from proving how clever the programmer was. Reminds me a little of this website at times with the ads.

iscanut 11:52 20 Aug 2014

Looks like a move to a Mac may be on the cards when I change my present desktop.

Woolwell 12:15 20 Aug 2014

MS have got themselves caught in producing a system which will look and work alike on smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops. In some way they were forced into a different interface. Apple have ios and their op system and a different charging system. MS are slowly moving to the Apple system of charging. They will not go back now.

There is no way that I would go back to XP having used W7. I find W8 quick and stable.

wee eddie 12:15 20 Aug 2014

Once upon a time I was attached to the R&D Department of 3M. A huge Company in its day.

At the time a call from the Head of Department to all us Troglodytes, was that we needed anything, but anything, to justify our existence. Product changes were suggested and made because R&D said that that was what would sell.

The company survived despite our best endeavours!

sunnystaines 13:21 20 Aug 2014

the metro dumb down screen style i think is more for young children to get used to using a computer. Do not know of anyone that uses it.

a choice during install to exclude it would be a good idea.

Woolwell 14:19 20 Aug 2014

I use it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?