I can throw my disks away now.

canarieslover 15:14 05 Nov 2008

Last used it on my old 486 laptop. I can remember I was as reluctant to upgrade to Win95 the as I am to go to Vista now. Trouble is I can also remember Windows 286 but I can't find my old 5 1/4" floppies.
click here

wee eddie 16:27 05 Nov 2008

when I bought the latest Apricot with "Double Disk" Drives, so that I could run the software from the one while the other was used for Storage!

I think that that was a 286 and it had a Hard Drive, but I can't remember what size.

wee eddie 16:29 05 Nov 2008

which I still have ~ Somewhere.

They, very kindly, sent me a replacement set on the newer disks.

Pineman100 17:32 05 Nov 2008

Interesting. The only time I've flown on Virgin, the in-flight entertainment kept breaking down!!

I've still got a few 5 1/4" floppies that I used on my first business computer - a Sirius. State-of-the-art in its day.

Condom 17:41 05 Nov 2008

I can well remember the day in the early 80's when my Neurosurgical Unit got deleivery of its first state of the art "Brain Scanner" and all the scans had to be stored on 5.25 disks which if I remember correctly were easily damaged if mishandled.

We used thousands of the things and today it would all fit on a little USB stick which some surgeon would probably leave on a train.

I also remember in the 70's making a coffee table from a massive 3ft ceramic type circular disk which an IT colleage gave me but from what it came from I have no idea. You certainly would not have taken that on a train with you.

Diemmess 17:59 05 Nov 2008

How many who once depended on a 5 1/4 Floppy Drive can even remember when they last had one in the box.
I plead guilty.
My first Windows computer had both floppy sizes catered for with slots for each on a new 386 with Windows 2 and 1 Mb of RAM

The more familiar 3.5 floppy drive is fitted to my current PC though I had to add it after buying the box.
There is one old floppy I keep updating for no good reason, but about 80 in boxes kept on dusty shelves "in case I want them."

I never will!

It might be a boon if some hi-tech outfit kept a version of various systems up to date, so that 10 or 20 years on some precious archive could be retrieved though from a era almost forgotten.
All that would assume the medium was still readable!

john bunyan 18:08 05 Nov 2008

In about 1989 I had a PC that had as A drive the 3.5 floppy, and as B drive a 5 1/4 floppy slot so I think I transferred all the old floppies to "new" ones. I still use the 3.5 for back up of word processing, but I agree with Diemmess it is unlikely I will use them. My floppy drive doubles up as a multi card reader so I am glad to have it.

DieSse 23:31 05 Nov 2008

I've still got a set of Sage Accounts on 8" floppies.

Now they really were "floppy" !!!

Only for demo purposes in talks tho' - haven't seen an actual 8" drive for around 25 years.

(and no, I don't want one either thanks!).

john bunyan 10:38 06 Nov 2008

DieSse.
Congratulations on having the biggest floppies!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie