I am saving up for a proper camera

peter99co 17:18 05 Oct 2008

after seeing this site.

click here

Some stunning photographs from great locations.

version8 17:24 05 Oct 2008

I can remember when i used to go rock climbing in Wales & in the valleys we would be higher than the fast jets flying through. All very spooky when to fly by so low.

At least the helicopter pilots waved at us!

hssutton 18:10 05 Oct 2008

It's not quite that simple, you'll need approx £1500 and a lot of skill.

Not sure if this link will work without you being a member, but it's a free to use site. click here

According to Nigel the photographer you've got a couple of hours climb and then you may not see a plane to photograph.

I go to lots of airshows and also to the local bombing range to shoot Typhoons and Tornadoes from nearby Conningsby, but to get the real action shots you need to be in the Welsh valleys so that you can look down on the planes.

Here's just one of my photos click here

peter99co 18:15 05 Oct 2008

I met some lads from Holland at Waddington and they told me about this site. They do all the Shows and go to Wales from time to time.

Quickbeam 19:31 05 Oct 2008

The only time I've ever got decent ground to air pictures of aircraft is from Lakeland fells, you have to be higher than the plane to avoid silhouettes unless there is a very low sun angle.

NewestRoyWidd1 02:08 06 Oct 2008

Maybe I've misunderstood your point about avoiding silhouettes ,but the way I was taught was to put the camera on manual metering,then take a reading from either grass or the runway if at a show.
35mm SLR's meters work on a 15%light grey basis being optimum,or so I was told by a pro.So if you point them at a plane in the sky,in sunlight,you get a silhouette.
Using the grass reading usually avoided that.Got odd looks though from people with"happy snap"cameras lol.Easily explained by telling them I enjoy photographing grass!

Quickbeam 08:46 06 Oct 2008

True, but then you get a burned out sky. Nearly all published aircraft pictures are air to air.

NewestRoyWidd1 15:53 06 Oct 2008

Point taken on the skies.Usually the photos from my partners basic camera avoided that though due to the simple light meter it had.
I gained pleasure at shows from just seeing and hearing the displays,the loudest I have ever heard before or since,was a B1-b Lancer on full burners going almost vertical at Waddington a few years ago.

hssutton 17:00 06 Oct 2008

Waddington has to be one of the worst airshows for photography as you're always shooting into the light, so you usually require an exposure compensation of around plus two stops.

The vampire at click here is + two stops with the two Typhoons being + one stop.

Shooting on a bright day without exposure compensation will always result in a silhouette.

Jak_1 17:11 06 Oct 2008

It all depends on what you mean by 'proper camera'!
I take it that you mean a film camera. It is the eye behind the lens that takes the picture. Also you will need a knowledge you how apperture settings, shutter speed and deliberate underexposure can make or break a picture. Knowing what type of film to use and the film speed (iso rating) comes into play as does the time of day and weather conditions.
For a dslr all the above apply with the exception of film type.
The pictures on that site were not just taken off the cuff, they were clearly planned out and locations visited to gain the right vantage point. With that type of shot autofocus is not an option as it is too slow so you will need to be adept at fast and accurate focusing and understand about depth of field and how that changes with different apperture settings.

hssutton 17:28 06 Oct 2008

Sorry I posted the wrong link the following is correct click here

Jak_1. Autofocus is essential when shooting fast moving jets. Manual focussing is far to slow. As for a proper camera Digital out resolves film for any given film/sensor size, though does lack a little in latitude.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?