I am the only parent who ...

Clapton is God 12:15 03 Oct 2017

... immediately goes into worry mode when one of his two teacher daughters phones in the middle of the working day?

I just had a call (at 11a.m.) from younger daughter who was obviously upset and wanted to share her upset with someone.

She was running a little late to get to school this morning so chose to drive a different route in the hope that she'd avoid the usual traffic.

Unfortunately, she came across a serious accident which had just happened and was then horrified to realise that one of the badly damaged vehicles belonged to a work colleague.

She got out of her car to offer help and found her colleague uninjured but wandering around in a daze.

She subsequently called 999, took photos of the accident, spoke to her colleague's insurance company, accompanied him to A & E and phoned their school to explain why they’d be late arriving today.

And, no doubt, she'll have a whole series of questions from her pupils when she gets back to school.

But at least my daughter was safe and well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:59 04 Oct 2017

I always worry when the kids call - it means they want something :0)

Glad your daughter and friend are OK that's all that matters.

HondaMan 21:32 04 Oct 2017

My wife always emails me when she gets to work to avoid me worrying whether she drives or catches the bus. I'm a compulsive worrier!

Cymro. 12:55 05 Oct 2017

Two phone calls you don't want as a parent. From the Police Station and from the local hospital. If you manage to get through parenthood without those two calls you're not doing too bad. We did once get a middle of the night phone call to say that our daughter was in hospital. She had come off her bike so only slight concussion and one night in hospital before all was again well. The son did manage to write off his car once but he was none the worse. Yes we have been very lucky so let's hope it stays that way. Mind you it is the grandchildren we worry about these days.

Clapton is God 10:34 06 Oct 2017

Cymro.

"it is the grandchildren we worry about these days".

Thanks for that! Something else to look forward to.

Our elder daughter is due to present us with our first grandchild in January. ;-))

Cymro. 11:09 06 Oct 2017

Clapton is God it is the grandchildren we worry about these days

Grandchildren are easier at least you can hand them over to their Mam+Dad at the end of a shift. The two of ours that live locally are aged 8+10 so they still just about believe everything I tell them. I like nothing better than embarrassing their mother (my daughter) by telling the kids just how badly behaved she was at their age.

Aitchbee 11:59 06 Oct 2017

Slightly off subject but I consider myself fortunate in that I am a non-parent, ie. I do not have any children or grandchildren. That's the way it is, although sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to have produced offspring and then to endure of all the responsibilities that ensue. C'est la vie.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 06 Oct 2017

I consider myself fortunate in that I am a non-parent

That's possibly because you don't know what your missing. Kids are hard work but well worth the effort in bringing them up right.

Grandkids are better, time to get your own back on your kids :0) I had not realised how much I had stagnated since the kids left home having a grandson has definitely rejuvenated us. Half term soon so we'll have him all week i'll enjoy it while he's here but will probably be glad of the rest when he goes back to school.

bumpkin 19:29 06 Oct 2017

Apparently you are not according to the replies.

caccy 16:48 07 Oct 2017

Been there done that with our own and two of the Grandchildren. Great Grandson is too young --- yet!

bumpkin 17:14 07 Oct 2017

Millions of parents throughout the world worry about their children, this is a natural thing to do. What makes you state that you are the only one.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires