Hurricanes

Ancient Learner 20:43 13 Oct 2005

I know that this has nothing to do with electronics, but perhaps someone can point to somewhere where, we as a family, can understand the names given to these dreadful things.

We thought that they were given names in alphabetical order, But Katrina and Ruth are hardly that, having 6 letters between them, Also, I was reading in, I think the Times, that one called Vince was about to strike Portugal yesterday, (Google has a report about it)but again we thought that the names were supposed to be female.

Jackcoms 20:48 13 Oct 2005

click here(Gh)/guides/mtr/hurr/name.rxml

Jackcoms 20:52 13 Oct 2005

Try again click here(Gh)/guides/mtr/hurr/names.rxml

Jackcoms 20:55 13 Oct 2005

Sorry the link keep breaking itself up.

Click on the 'Click Here' and then copy/paste everything after (GH) onto the end of the URL it takes you to.

Sorry!

onokeck 20:58 13 Oct 2005

I don't pretend to be an expert on this, but I think the National Hurricane Center (NHC) names hurricanes alternately with male/female names (i.e; first of the season is Ann, second is Bob, etc.)Some years ago all hurricanes were named with feminine names, but somewhere along the line (with the advent of womens lib) the policy was changed. You must remember that not all hurricanes make international or even national headlines. Before Katrina there may have been a John, an Irma and a Homer - but even though they were classified initially as 'hurricanes'they petered out and became tropical storms or even less. Whatever they are called and wherever they hit they are terrible, terrible things. I know because I lived in Mississippi on the gulf coast (Biloxi) and went through 'Çamille'in August 1969. You do not want to experience one of these things - believe me! Casey

Ancient Learner 20:59 13 Oct 2005

Thanks. Apparently they alternate male and female names. So since Katrina there must have been eleven Hurricanes to get to Vince. Remarkable!

Ancient Learner 21:02 13 Oct 2005

It's alright. Your first 'click here' got me to the site OK and I just followed the instructions. Thanks again.

octal 21:06 13 Oct 2005

Noaa is an interesting site click here

Ancient Learner 21:39 13 Oct 2005

Noaa certainly is an interesting site. I suspect that we in England do not appreciate the effort, and indeed the apparent cooperation, that goes into trying to defend against these monsters.

I certainly didn't.

octal 21:53 13 Oct 2005

Because we go to Florida often I find it useful to find out what we are letting ourselves into before we go. A few years ago we got caught in Hurricane Floyd which extended my holiday by an extra week because we couldn't get home.

Forum Editor 23:02 13 Oct 2005

but I've twice been caught up in a Typhoon when working in Hong Kong. Typhoons are simply hurricanes with another name, and I can certainly vouch for the fact that they scare the daylights out of you.

Years ago, when I first started working in Hong Kong I wondered why modern, state of the art office buildings were erected using bamboo scaffolding, tied together with special - very strong - black plastic tape. Not a single steel scaffold pole in sight. I was told that bamboo, because it bends and sways a little under stress, is far safer in a typhoon than conventional scaffold.

My first experience of watching a full-blooded typhoon rampaging across Hong Kong harbour is something I'll never forget - quite large boats were just flipped over in seconds.

We're lucky to live in an area of the world where we don't suffer such extremes of the weather.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?