The huge driving test scam

TopCat® 14:47 23 Jun 2007

What would you suggest as a way to try and stop it? TC.

click here

Forum Editor 15:05 23 Jun 2007

for having a national DNA database.

TopCat® 15:34 23 Jun 2007

It would incur added expense at every driving test office which, no doubt, would be eventually redeemed from the public by an increase in test charges. As an added security measure I would suggest a finger print checking facility as well.

As an aside, does anyone think this scam, and possibly others in operation, strengthens the clamour by some for national identity cards? As I've stated before in this forum, I have no objection to a secure NIC but I know many of you have. TC.

georgemac © 16:40 23 Jun 2007

I think a biometric national identity card is the way ahead, not only for driving tests

I also have no objections at all to a national DNA database

spuds 16:41 23 Jun 2007

This scam is nothing new, its been around for a few years now. Some people have been caught out, by attending the same test centre after passing the test, and were recognised by the examiners as a 'star pupil'.

Only recently in our county, a person involved in a serious RTA was found not able to speak English, didn't understand any road signs or regulations, yet she was in the possession of a newly acquired British driving licence. The worst thing about this was the fact that she was carrying young children in the car, all of whom were injured in some form or another.

bluto1 16:47 23 Jun 2007

Totally in favour of a NIC. However as TopCat said some members are not, so the thinking has to go on.

pj123 17:11 23 Jun 2007

Driving test scam

I would think this scam has been going on for years, probably not as much as it is today though.

I passed my Driving test in 1961. It cost me a total of £13 (old money).

Ten lessons at a £1 each, a mock driving test at a £1, the use of the car for the test another £1 and the driving test fee of £1.

The test itself consisted of driving around a set course, doing a 3 point turn (which was 3 then), reversing around a corner, an emergency stop and answering 5 or 6 questions. But there were still people who got someone else to take the test for them.

There were no photographs on driving licences then, but, of course, the proxy had to be roughly the same age as the person they were taking the test for. It was no use a 17 year old getting someone who was a lot older than them to take the test, for example.

I would be quite happy to have my DNA, fingerprints or an Iris scan taken and incorporated on my plastic driving licence.

Yes it would add to the cost but, like everything else, if you want it you will pay for it.

There are plenty of other scams in the Motor trade. Just look at MOTs?

Si_L 17:36 23 Jun 2007

I didn't know people ever did this, although now I know, I can't honestly say I'm surprised. I've got my test coming up soon. Where (hypothetically of course) would you find one of these scam artists?

(Almost a million and a half posts!)

pj123 18:14 23 Jun 2007

Si_L. I'm sure you won't need one of them. If your driving instructor is confident that you will pass, believe him/her.

If he/she isn't confident you wouldn't be advised to apply for the test until you were ready.

Good Luck

beeuuem 19:51 23 Jun 2007

It would be much quicker and simpler just to 'chip' everyone.

dukeboxhero 19:56 23 Jun 2007

as spuds says this has been going on for awile, and extends to people sitting taxi test also

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone