How's your paranoia?

Forum Editor 18:15 05 Mar 2008

This will fuel it a treat:

click here

rossgolf 18:20 05 Mar 2008

so you just turn it off and bak on again very quickly ? then wat, it jsut comes up with the encryption keys? :S:S

anskyber 19:03 05 Mar 2008

Mine's nicely under control thank you.

It's amazing how naive some can be to data protection. If the data was in hard copy form and, for example a matter of national security, we would have to be the equivalent of James Bond to break into a secure building.

With computers the approach is almost cavalier.

Earthsea 19:05 05 Mar 2008

It doesn't surprise me, because in my old Amiga days it was recommended (can't remember by whom) to turn it off for at least 30 seconds before switching it on again. In reality I don't think it made much difference, but that machine had 1Mb memory as opposed to the huge amounts on machines these days.

'For example, where information stays in a computer for around 15 seconds under normal conditions, a laptop cooled to about -50C will keep information in its memory for 10 minutes or more.'

Does that really pose a significant security threat?

Kemistri 19:09 05 Mar 2008

I can see that I'll have to stop storing my notebook in the freezer, then. What a pity.

I'm all in favour of good security precautions, but there is such a thing as taking it too far, so in the absence of a reply from Gandalf, I'll give this one a big fat "Meh!" and leave it to MI5 et al to worry about this.

anskyber 19:13 05 Mar 2008

As a horrible and unashamed hijack (which to a thread by the FE is perhaps unwise) I thought the thread was going to be about the recently "discovered" pictures of computer virus.

click here

rossgolf 19:16 05 Mar 2008

how can you make a picture of a virus or has some one just decided to make a few drawings and pass them off as pictures of virus's?

anskyber 19:18 05 Mar 2008

The latter!

rossgolf 19:20 05 Mar 2008

lol
i think i should do some drawings and say its a nice little virus and maybe get them posted on bbc and see what everyone thinks :D

Forum Editor 19:26 05 Mar 2008

Hijack away - it's all interesting stuff, and the images are beautiful.

rossgolf 19:29 05 Mar 2008

good point.
tbf they look nice but im sure ive seen this kind of thing some where before ^o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017