How true is this?

Bingalau 10:25 22 Jan 2008

This came in an E-mail this morning,
School 1967 vs. School 2007

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1967 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.
2007 - Police are called, Armed Response Unit arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both
are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1967 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best.Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin.
Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.

1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college,and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school .

1967 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from
School for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.

1967 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college.
2007 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human
rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1967 - Ants die.
2007 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings
are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1967 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to
playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.

interzone55 10:29 22 Jan 2008

It's amazing how these emails spread - I got this last week.

I found it funny, but it's not 100% true. It seems to assume that children in 1967 were not anti-social in any way.

Exactly how many pairs of rose-tinted glasses are Specsavers shifting these days...

Bingalau 10:43 22 Jan 2008

alan14. I agree with you on all points, but it is humourous. Some of it is bordering on the truth. Of course a lot depends on whether or not you believe what newspapers spout.

georgemac © 11:37 22 Jan 2008

I agree with your comments. Some of it is a little far fetched but some of it does border on the truth.

Legolas 12:40 22 Jan 2008

Yes as already said it has a definate air of possibility about it given todays society.

Everything seems to be such a big deal these days especially if the press get wind about it.

interzone55 15:54 22 Jan 2008

You've hit the nail on the head there...

"Everything seems to be such a big deal these days especially if the press get wind about it."

This is the problem these days, every tiny thing that happens gets blown out of proportion once the red-tops get their greasy hands on it.

Stuartli 16:49 22 Jan 2008

All youngsters get up to mischief and we were no different in my day.

However, the main difference from today is that it was always more mischievous than malicious.

Totally-braindead 17:01 22 Jan 2008

Theres a little bit of truth in all of them I think, I certainly think the 1967 scenarios are just about spot on, the 2007 ones are in many cases over the top but are possibilities in the present world we seem to live in.

It kind of brings me to what I was thinking about today after reading in the paper that my local council are going to clear up bad behaviour from youths.
It won't work, it makes good headlines in our local paper but its complete rubbish because even if they catch them they don't get punished and the local councils plans don't change that.
If you look at the events listed above one of the big differences in 1967 was the youths were punished there and then, they didn't get wrapped in cotton wool and told that everything is someone elses fault as seems to be the case nowadays.

rossgolf 17:30 22 Jan 2008

as probably the only person on here in secondry school i tink i need to defend us. i dont think that the message given out these days to the public that our skwls alwyas get into fights and that we carry knives. i think this is exagerated and that most schools including mine have a very good reputation.
on the other hand, there was actually a fight today at school and yes there was some one videoing it bt i dont think that it will be put on the internet as it was a couple of small yr 8's and ""wasnt interesting enough""
i do no that there is gangs in my school and other schools but most peopel dont hear about them TBH.
i dont think we get recognised for the good that we are doing just the bad. and the bad is only by a certain amount of pupils which in our school get expelled or suspended and we are luky to have a quite strict yet fair headtecher

feel free to ask me about schools these days lol

ross...

Bingalau 17:40 22 Jan 2008

rossgolf. Nice to hear from you and and of course I think we all know there are good and bad in schools and schoolchildren as in other walks of life. But nothing will convince us old timers that the lack of proper punishment is making things worse than they otherwise would be. In our schooldays you daren't say anything to your teachers other than "Yes Miss" or Yes Sir" etc. It is also true that we were frequently punished twice for the one offence.. Once by the school headmaster and then by your parents when you got home. We do realise that life is still no picnic for the young of today. I for one appreciate that there are lots of wonderful youngsters in the World today. Let's hope you are one of them too.

rossgolf 17:48 22 Jan 2008

lol
im sure if one of the teachers did try to use anythink other than detentions and isolation then he/she would be sued and loose their job.
but i think its just the fact that their are alot of bad influences on us. ie. gang culture in america, and here, rappers singing about shooting people and stuff like that.
and i like to think i am one of the good people but as all kids i have my days....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?