How Times Change

Greengage 14:40 31 Dec 2006

I bought my first PC in 1996 (I did have a really basic one given to me before that but it was before Windows) and it was a Packard Bell from PC World. It possessed a Pentium 100 processor and 8mb ram. Beacause my wife heard that things were changing in the PC world, when I took early retirement in 1997 I invested again in another Packard Bell but this time with a 160 processor, 16mb ram AND mmx. Each of these cost me upwards of £1600. With the second PB I had a Canon Printer 4200 thrown in and I was able to off load my previous dot matrix printer (not quite true - I kept it!). Along the way I acquired an Agfa scanner (SCSI connections - worked very well but no use on present day PCs) which cost me £200,again PC World. I have bought another scanner and two other printers also since then. All the printers still work and I did really get rid of the dot matrix to my father in law to whom I gave the first PB and then I updated him with the Canon printer subsequently. The other PB I gave to my barber. I have also acquired additional computers over this period and at present I possess 3 PCs (all are more than reasonable spec) and a notebook. You now have to put all this in perspective. The wife and I live alone at home with this equipment and I counted up the other day that including TV and other equipment we have 7 DVD players in the house without even counting the recorders. I still possess two very decent recorders and two scanners (although I am cheating here because I am still counting the Agfa). We do not do a lot on the equipment we own but hell - I like playing with it all.

Now to get to the point of this posting, I went out yesterday and saw an HP all in one HP PSC 1510 at a very competitive price. I came home did my homework and went back today - only because golf was cancelled due to waterlogged course - and bought it. I do not need it, but difficult to turn away a bargain at under £35!

Greengage 15:04 31 Dec 2006

"two very decent recorders" should read "printers". And sorry about "Beacause"

lisa02 15:12 31 Dec 2006

Indeed it is technology overload... I have a cupboard full of those extra cables that come with things and I haven't got a clue what's what. Will I toss them? Nope just in case I find I need one.

Technology is soo cheap now. I have lots of gadgets I don't need or use but I still want them. Just bought myself more memory pens, a steal at £12.99 for PNY 1gb at PCW, and another Sharp hifi with usb ports to play music through.

My new year's resolution is to stop spending click here .

PurplePenny 22:17 31 Dec 2006

Watched the film "The Explorers" earlier. Brainy kid was putting stuff onto a computer, he'd had to route it through his Dad's computer because it had 128K of memory. 128K!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?