How safe are we in our new digital homes?

tommy vercetti 12:21 05 Aug 2005

How long will it be before a virus will be able to infiltrate a fully networked digital home, and switch the lights on/off or worse, set fire alarms off etc?

spuds 13:07 05 Aug 2005

Like all modern technology,it cannot happen until it doe's. Remember the year 2000 changeover, and what the experts predicted!. :o)

€dstowe 13:50 05 Aug 2005

There is already some mysterious "thing" that causes burglar alarms and car alarms to activate without any reason - as you will no doubt have heard if you live in a populated area. It is but a small step for these gremlins to infiltrate other electrical and electronic equipment.

Diemmess 15:09 05 Aug 2005

I think malicious code introduced into an otherwise functional domestic or public gizmo is a long way behind unexpected RFI as a source of serious disruption in the forseeable.

Already (to quote one nuisance) the interference by proximity to a communications transmitter tower, is disrupting car alarms and locking systems. Even switched-on mobile phones have been know to trash a car key if kept in the same pocket.

Nearly every gadget capable of transmitting electro magnetic radiation has to pass stringent tests these days, both to restrict the gadget's ability to a narrow predefined frequency and power......... Also if it is to be of any use at all, it must be shielded across the specrum from any other radiation which might affect it.

Even these factors are difficult to control, and generate unpleasant glitches from time to time.

Yes malicious code will follow when the reward justifies the effort. But many of the affectable gizmos either don't carry enough importance to bolster the egos of the idiots who write the code or don't involve financial gain of a sufficiently high order.

€dstowe 15:17 05 Aug 2005

My contribution here wasn't intended to be serious;-)

wee eddie 15:42 05 Aug 2005

What does one do when one's home crash's.

Wear a helmet!

Diemmess 16:25 05 Aug 2005

Like the frequent posts from those who didn't backup. It is often simple neglect that can wipe the smile off faces.

Several years ago in Gloucester on an otherwise normal afternoon, a JCB wrecked the main elecrical supply cable to the BT exchange. The backup generator failed to start and an alternative backup genny too.

Little by little as the batteries went low, subsidiary exchanges went out, even our own about 20 miles away. Power was restored within an hour or so, but it took several more hours before all circuits were reset and a fully functional service restored.

The point is that in spite of alternative supplies supposedly available, the reserves had not been propery checked. Police vehicles were out with loud speaker announcements telling anyone needing to make emergency calls to use their's or a neighbour's mobile.

There must have been 'tearing of raiment and gnashing of teeth', but no one seemed to come to any physical harm and though local radio was busy, the story never made national press or TV.

Ancient Learner 16:55 05 Aug 2005

€dstowe.I hear what you say. However when you have been locked out of your car on the docks at Dover, and when you manage to get in, the engine won't start, and you get towed to the top of the hill outside the docks, so as to escape such odd transmissions, I think one can be allowed to take such matters seriously.

My last car did not like motor bikes or tractors, and would set off its alarm as soon as it heard one. This present car didn't like our old noisy garage door, and we had to buy an auto/electric plastic one to pacify it. Gremlins! the damned things are everywhere.

Take Care :-))

€dstowe 17:19 05 Aug 2005

When I lived in London, I noticed several times that the test lamp on the car key zapper would flash occasionally and, if it was near the car, the doors would unlock - all with no effort on my part. Oddly, it happened with both keys so I doubt it was a fault in that particular zapper. It was then that I gave up on these electronic security gizmos to lock my car and I went back to rely on the old fashioned turn key in a lock. Even now, living in the back of beyond, I will not use these things.

The car manufacturer could offer no explanation and, of course, it was one of these things that would never happen when you wanted it to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?