How real is the pound in your pocket?

WhiteTruckMan 18:39 22 Sep 2008

click here

Just had a dig in a big jar that I use for change. Out of 15 pound couns, 1 turned out to be a dud!

Annoying,to say the least. I've never, ever taken a look at the coins I get in change, but I think I will be doing now.

WTM

Forum Editor 19:03 22 Sep 2008

and like you I checked all my coins. No duds, but - again like you - I never look at the coins in my pocket.

TopCat® 19:21 22 Sep 2008

Same here, I never check my change except to see that I'm given correct value.

"It is a criminal offence to make or use counterfeited coins. Any member of the public who suspects they have a counterfeited coin should not attempt to spend it." said a Royal Mint spokesman. I rather doubt if many will heed the last sentence though because you lose out if you hand it in to a bank. They will try to pass it on pretty quick! TC.

SB23 19:25 22 Sep 2008

Never mind the pound, I've just checked my pocket and found a 50 cent euro. Wouldn't be so bad if I knew where it came from and how much its worth.

But your link certainly makes you think.

Steve

GRIDD 19:26 22 Sep 2008

Problem is a big one and is increasing.

Easiest way is to look at the inscription as all fakes seem to be poor at this - it goes wonky or faded. Second is the colour, the gold colouring is patchy and almost silver on some. If you are unsure scrape another coin or key against it and the paint will come off.

Just yesterday a taxi driver tried to give me a pretty poor example. It was basically a dirty grey disk the size a £ coin and I immediately handed it back. I always look at coins because I used to collect and the interest is still there - just the time and money to buy is lacking.

Having said that I have sometimes been caught out as some are quite good and I don't spot them til after I'm away from the source.

Si_L 19:34 22 Sep 2008

I found one in my pocket where the image on the back is slightly lop-sided and the writing 'ONE POUND' underneath the (leek?) on the back has rubbed off almost completely, as has most of the writing around the queens head.

Knowing that it might be a fake, can I still spend it?

WhiteTruckMan 19:41 22 Sep 2008
  TopCat® 19:43 22 Sep 2008

See my post above. TC.

oresome 20:14 22 Sep 2008

I used to come across a lot in the vending machine industry.

Some of it on an industrial scale, not so much for the stock, but the change that was given in genuine silver coins.

GRIDD 21:19 22 Sep 2008

If I get caught out I mutilate the coin and bin it. If I notice it, it gets handed back to the person who gave me it.

oresome, really? (I'm not doubting you, just expressing surprise) I'd have thought vending machines would be spot on at recognising the real deal. I know that machines in work won't recognise newer £ coins for some reason.

Jake_027 21:37 22 Sep 2008

Here's a few extra features to look out for:

-If it scratches easily with another coin (ie a chink can be made), its fake

-When you drop a fake on a hard surface, it won't make the same sound, ie it will instantly fall flat rather than the oscillating movement (its difficult to describe) that normal coins make

-Fake £1 coins are lighter (weight wise) than real ones, and you can tell the difference by holding a £1 in each hand

Those are the checks I carry out at our shop if I'm suspicious, and they haven't failed yet. The most obvious one is appearence though, they are usually much more tarnished and dirty than real £1 coins

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?